Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

For Sale: 30W Ophir Laser Power Meter + Hyperion data Logger

Hi all

I'm selling my 30W Ophir Laser Power Meter with Hyperion as data logger board.
It's a real Ophir head, capable of measuring up to 30W.

The Ophir sensor is outputting 0.806mV/W
The Hyperion is using 22-bit ADC with 2500mV Vref

So the full scale (from 0mW to 30000mW) resolution will be 1.5mW per step.

Here is the picture:
IMG20161013141031.jpg

IMG20161013141058.jpg

IMG20161013141109.jpg

IMG20161013141131.jpg

IMG20161013141153.jpg

As you can see the sensor has a slight spot, I've measured laser on that spot and the result is the same with non-spotted area.

This is a high power sensor, the 100% response rate are about 4sec.

Price: $350

Looks like a great LPM, not a bad price either!

Are you going to be making an Hyperion for a 20c?

Sure in the future, but as for now, the Hyperion board can be configured to read directly from ophir (but the 20c needs to be supplied externally)

Sure in the future, but as for now, the Hyperion board can be configured to read directly from ophir (but the 20c needs to be supplied externally)

Is that something that is feasible for me to do? Or would it better/easier to have a separate Hyperion board for both the Argentum and Ophir sensors?

If you can desolder and soldering an SMD chip, that would be fine.
But unfortunately for 5V power supply, it can go only up to 4W reading from ophir (using 4.096mW Vref)
By default, i ship the Hyperion Board using 2500mW Vref, if you use your HyAg board to read from ophir, you'll get only max of 2500mW.
(If you change the Vref to 4.096, then it will go for 4W max though.)

I can give you tutorial how to do it, if you're interested.

Last edited:
If you can desolder and soldering an SMD chip, that would be fine.
But unfortunately for 5V power supply, it can go only up to 4W reading from ophir (using 4.096mW Vref)
By default, i ship the Hyperion Board using 2500mW Vref, if you use your HyAg board to read from ophir, you'll get only max of 2500mW.
(If you change the Vref to 4.096, then it will go for 4W max though.)

I can give you tutorial how to do it, if you're interested.

To be honest, I would rather not have to tear down the Hyperion board as I like to use the argentum regularly. Are you willing/able to sell a board by itself that's setup for a 20c?

It is indeed available for sale
But please see below, the setup will be like this:

IMG20161014014510.jpg

BTW, I can modify the wiring so that it can run from 2x 9V battery only.

I can't tell from the photos, but is the sensor output a BNC connector? If so, why not add the male connector from the Hyperion to the senor?

Last edited:
Of course i can add a male BNC, but i'm not sure about the structural integrity, as the board doesn't have a hole for mounting a BNC, thus the BNC port will be left hanging/floating (unless i add some glue)

I think i can just let the future buyer choose what's best for him/her :beer:

Last edited:
astralist said:
BTW, I can modify the wiring so that it can run from 2x 9V battery only.

If it can be done, I would rather have both the Hyperion and Ophir ran from the same power source?

Last edited:
That's for added flexibility.
Sometimes you had only two fresh 9v battery at the moment, sometimes you want to power up your Hyperion using USB, sometimes from the DC in jack, something like that i guess.

Either you run from the same or different power source, the ground is still connected internally and system will run the way it should be.

Last edited:
If it can be done, I would rather have both the Hyperion and Ophir ran from the same power source?

With that particular Ophir sensor, you would be very limited in the power you could measure if it were set up the way you have asked.

With that particular Ophir sensor, you would be very limited in the power you could measure if it were set up the way you have asked.

Indeed, the max guaranteed measurable power is only 5W max by using 5V Vref.

Last edited:

Is that cause the Hyperion board will cause a voltage drop resulting in less than 15v that the Ophir needs?

I guess it wouldn't be a big deal having (3) 9v batteries total, but it'd be nice if I could piggyback the Ophirs power and have the Hyperion running off of 18v instead of the 9v that it does now.

Is that cause the Hyperion board will cause a voltage drop resulting in less than 15v that the Ophir needs?

I guess it wouldn't be a big deal having (3) 9v batteries total, but it'd be nice if I could piggyback the Ophirs power and have the Hyperion running off of 18v instead of the 9v that it does now.

Hi Cal,
Sorry for late reply, been busy lately.

Here is the setup you requested:
IMG20161114062006.jpg

The board can read whatever voltage the sensor is outputting with resolution of micro watt up to 4W because Vref used is 4.096V
The ADC IC said it can read for up to 150% of Vref which is 6V or 6W, but personally i haven't tested it because that means inputting over supply input.
Although it can read as small as microwatt, you need to take account of ophir noise floor (AFAIK for 20C, it is as big as 3mW)

This setup was tested with my Ophir 150C-A-.1-AX

What do you think?
Let me know if you're still interested buying the Hyperion board-only.

Thanks