Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

for sale.  projection T.V. lenses

Kenom

Up for sale today is two projection tv lenses. The full assembly's can be pulled apart and are nice units.
I personally don't have a use for them but I know that someone will make use of them....
I have 2 total up for grabs.

Asking price is $10 plus shipping ($5)

DSC00084.jpg

DSC00082-1.jpg

DSC00081.jpg

Interested for on of these for a home-made projection tv. I wouldnt have to turn the tv upside down.

For that setup, you will have to place this lens a long distance away from the T.V. screen. I'd estimate 2 feet in front.. plus, you'd STILL have to turn the TV upside down. 2 feet in front would mean a LOT of wated light, and one very dim projector.

CRT projectors(the LARGE version of RPTV projectors, are my other hobby:). Thing is, the ones I have weigh about 141 pounds and actually hang from the cailing aiming at an 8-ft wide screen :p

Glaserfan said:
For that setup, you will have to place this lens a long distance away from the T.V. screen. I'd estimate 2 feet in front.. plus, you'd STILL have to turn the TV upside down. 2 feet in front would mean a LOT of wated light, and one very dim projector.

CRT projectors(the LARGE version of RPTV projectors, are my other hobby:). Thing is, the ones I have weigh about 141 pounds and actually hang from the cailing aiming at an 8-ft wide screen :p

I know mine i have now is dim. Its a standard tube tv, any recommendations for making it brighter?

Kenom

Re: for sale.  projection T.V. lenses

the lenses themselves do not adjust inside the housing no. you want to know the focal point? about 1/2" to 1"

1 inch? It cant be. Most optics(from projection TV's) can be used for a DIY projector and they are around 350mm - 500mm focal length. Or is that 1/2 foot to 1 foot?

Kenom

ya know I've really not a clue. when I put my laser right up to the lens (on it) and focus the laser onto something it's only a 1/2" away from the lens. but if I use a flashlight it's a lot longer of distance.

The CRT tube in a projection TV is only about 1/2 inch from the lens.. the screen is a total of maybe 3-4 feet away. Some RPTV's have adjustable lenses. the closest adjustment to the tube is center screen focus, and the farthest adjustment for corner screen focus. Most conversion sets end up with different lenses, or a small screen with the projector close.

As far as the TV-as-a-projector setup, there is really no way to brighten it. Since there is no lens the will fit over the WHOLE front of the TV, there is a large amount of the TV's output that is wasted. The ony cure is to get a real projector. There are tons of the various types on eBay. The CRT variety, especially the ones that only do video and not PC/HD resolutions, can be had for under $200, sometimes under $100. They throw an AWESOME image too:)

I have a total of 6 units here now. Whats neat is I have less than $800 invested in them. New cost for them was a total of over $112,000. They all work PERFECTLY too.. some wear, yes, but thats to be expected of 12-15 yr old electronics.

Here's an excellent link to learn about these for anyone intersted: www.curtpalme.com. There is a forum you can join there too:)

Back on topic.. I am sure someone may find a use for Kenom's lenses, I dont know what they may be able to do for a laser(I should try one of my 21 lenses I have here LOL), but there are, as the picture shows, multiple elements inside.. lots of possibilites:D

hey glasserfan- you know of any place to get cheap replacement bulbs, cause all the projectors for cheap use an expensive 300$ light

Hmm.. thats the unforunate thing about newer digitals.. and why they get sold off so much:(

This is why I went CRT.

Watching ebay is a crap shoot for projectors(CRT oir digital).. it takes time and patience to find a workable deal. One simply capable of your DIY televison projector shouldn't be hard to find. PM me with your location and what you'd like the projector to do, and what you'd like to spend and I'll see what I can do to help:) This way we don't hijack Kenom's thread any longer :p

I bought a "Faulty" LCD projector off ebay for $35 dollars. I fixed it my self(abit of solder) and now ive got my self a projector which uses globes that cost $8 dollars and last 500 hours. Only downside it its halogen and the heat produced by the globe is huge.

Kenom

These have to go! they are taking up space and not being used. Make me an offer and they will most likely be yours.