Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

For all buying laserland 5mw 445nm

94Z28

Just wanted to let you guys know, especially people new to lasers about the laser lands 5mw I got in the mail today. I originally bought it so my young son could try a laser as he has seen mine and wanted to try it but I refuse to let him even been in the same room as me during my lazing.

Opened package, was impressed with quality of packing materials and the box it came in was decent as well for the 8$ shipped I paid for it.

Read directions, 2 AAA was needed so I got a fresh set of AAA and slid em in with negative facing spring as direction says. As soon as I went to screw it back together I noticed the input spring was bent badly. I put two ends together and started to screw it tight; immediately the device beings to get VERY hot. The spring was grounding on the case and the batteries started to ground out. I took it apart and took pics to let the seller know. I will be fixing the issue myself but anyone who doesn't know lasers or electronics well may get burned or start a fire if they don't notice this.

15p2252.jpg

fvvdy1.jpg

23k3grc.jpg

Last edited:

Razako

Good catch. That could be really bad with lithium cells.

94Z28

Good catch. That could be really bad with lithium cells.

I've never had a device using such small cells ground out... shocked how hot it got and how quickly it reached a temp capable of burning my hand.

I work with 400-800v / 800a bus in my factory so we don't get burns we get arc flash... aka arc grenade.

Last edited:

benmwv

Can you confirm this is 445nm not 405nm? And a pic of the output if its not too much trouble?

I find it hard to believe they are selling a 445nm laser for $8. Im going to buy one if it is!

benmwv

Well it definitely looks like 445nm in the picture. Does anybody know of a 445nm diode they could get at these prices even if its only 5mw? I haven't heard of any.

I suppose you dont have an LPM? Im wondering if tis is really only 5mw or more like 50mw.

I guess Ill buy a few. May be able to take the diode and push it a little, since I don't know any 445nm diodes that cant go past 5mw. If these are standard single mode 445nm diodes then $7-8 is a great deal!

Sta

Re: GUIDE: Which company should I buy from?

Well it definitely looks like 445nm in the picture. Does anybody know of a 445nm diode they could get at these prices even if its only 5mw? I haven't heard of any.

I suppose you dont have an LPM? Im wondering if tis is really only 5mw or more like 50mw.

I guess Ill buy a few. May be able to take the diode and push it a little, since I don't know any 445nm diodes that cant go past 5mw. If these are standard single mode 445nm diodes then $7-8 is a great deal!

I have my own laserlands 445/450, it's definitely multimode and definitely <5mW. However, it's in a different (and nicer :eg:) host so this may all be totally irrelevant. :D

Last edited:

94Z28

33d9g5h.jpg

This is a 405nm 301(Left) vs the 455nm LaserLands(Right)
Once again, this is with smoke in the room.

I'm not sure if the 301 is really a 405nm but the color has more purple hue to it than a blue in my opinion. I do not have a LPM yet so i am unsure of any of my laser's true specs but I will have one soon. Maybe i will remove the driver/module on this laserlands tonight and see what we got in there. It is definitely thermal pasted into this thing pretty well.

Edit> I msg'd on eBay to them about the safety concern and they refunded my 7$ so this one was free. I told them i'd prefer another laser mailed out, but they offered the refund anyway.

Last edited:

94Z28

Just a heads up if you buy it to take the diode out, your gonna have to cut the host up to get to it. They used so much white paste that was more like a silicone base glue IMO that it literally wouldn't budge.. I ruined the laser trying to take it apart. The diode is so beat up on the back where they tried to push it into the module that I'm not sure it was even worth destroying it for our information.

I can tell you its a 3 pin Diode, the driver is covered in white silicone glue as well, I will take some pics of it for you guys to look at.... Unsure what it is because im fairly new to tearing into/building them.

Wondering if these are it, because they're selling them as well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Osram-3-8mm-TO38-80mw-445nm-Blue-Laser-Diode-LD-/131864581457?

Last edited:
Just a heads up if you buy it to take the diode out, your gonna have to cut the host up to get to it. They used so much white paste that was more like a silicone base glue IMO that it literally wouldn't budge.. I ruined the laser trying to take it apart. The diode is so beat up on the back where they tried to push it into the module that I'm not sure it was even worth destroying it for our information.

I can tell you its a 3 pin Diode, the driver is covered in white silicone glue as well, I will take some pics of it for you guys to look at.... Unsure what it is because im fairly new to tearing into/building them.

Wondering if these are it, because they're selling them as well.
Brand New OSRAM 3 8mm TO38 80mW 445nm Blue Laser Diode LD | eBay

You don't have to cut them up (I did that on the first one).
Soak the host in alcohol and the tip will pull right out, no threads.
These lasers are trash IMO. 2 dead units within 1 day of usage. No user errors.

Razako

IDK how they even get 450nm diodes at such a low price. I've heard they use reject diodes, or those that failed QC exams.

94Z28

I put the laserland diode and driver into a "testing module" actually a old led flashlight with 4 set screws and powered it by two Saft 3.7v AA sized batteries. I took some beam shots and tested output with my thermocouple setup like a thermoformer type.

Ambient was 88* and focused through a G2 to a black insulated thermocouple tip was 103*

103*-88* x 3.3mW estimated 49.5mW

Same way I measured my "1w" which today was an ambient of 88* and focused through g2 was 440*

440* - 88* x 3.3mw = 1,161mW estimated

IF my rough estimations are off to you guys please lmk since I have no LPM this is how I've always rough estimate my lasers.

Will add the beamshot off the laserland diode soon.