Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Floating Islands :o

Hey so a while ago i stumbled upon the story of this guy who built a gigantic floating island by putting thousands of plastic bottles into mesh bags and strapping them together. He then put some dirt and plants on it, and built a two story house on top of it. It had a toilet, a shower, a hot water heater, (black hoses facing the sun, heating the water), a rain collector, and plants like papaya trees, banana trees, lemon trees, mangrove, etc for eating. It was completely sustainable and awesome. Heres a pic:

300px-Spiralsiland2000.jpg

Unfortunately, hurricane emily came through and destroyed the island. So he moved to safer waters and started construction on a second island, which was completed about a month ago. Its HUGE. He has been recognized by the government, he has been on ripleys believe it or not, and numerous other TV and news shows. Heres a pic of his second island, recently completed (the plants havent quite grown in yet):

Cancun08081721.jpg

Yep, thats floating. And yep, thats a motor on the back, so he can drive his island paradise around :D . How cool is that, right?

My friends and i were so blown away by this so we decided we wanted to build one as well. We have been collecting bottles, thinking of the logistics, and i have even been in contact with the governor of hawaii, the US coast guard, and the mayor of honolulu to ask them about legality.

Anyway, we are almost ready to begin building. The authorities i have talked to said that it would be exactly like a boat, so i would have to get it registered, titled, etc, just like any boat. I am also going to have to be a captain and take the captains course to be allowed to take paying customers (i dont think i will because its a lot of work, and who wants to pay to be able to go on an island?). So im not gonna charge people to come on, but im also not gonna let just anybody on board obviously.

Its going to take a long time and its no joking matter. I will keep you all posted about our construction as well, cuz youre all my friends and i myself would love to hear see pics of this as it happens.

Heres the site about the story, which the admin has agreed to expand to not just his island in the discussions, but my island-to-be. http://www.spiralislanders.com . I recommend signing up and reading about it if youre interested in this sort of thing.

Im not sure how my laser skillz will help me in building this island but ill try and think of a way. Ill probably end up strapping all my lasers to the side of it and use them to shoot those darned whales out of my way ;D

Good luck! I wish I lived in a tropical paradise, then I'd make one too ;D

thats gonna be hard telling people "no don't recycle your plastic bottle, give it to me I'm going to put it in the ocean!"
haha
good luck, that looks like fun.

Things

LOL @ above!!!!

That is sooo true though, and so amazing! I'd kinda hate to live off stuff grown on tree's, but at the expensive of living on that thing it would be worth it!

I wonder where your mail would come though? Delivered by seagull ? ;D

Good luck Laserterd, though make sure you secure the bottles, you dont want them all to go to one side when a wave comes :p

WHAT ABOUT THE INTERNET!!!????

Also, FREAKIN' AWESOME!

Can I come on your island when its finished? :D

Switch

You can also get some chickens so you don't have to live with stuff grown on trees. ::)

Switch said:
You can also get some chickens so you don't have to live with stuff grown on trees. ::)
That's why noodles exist ;)

And you don't even have to salt them, since it comes naturally in the water ;D

Things said:
Thats what wireless is for  :p

i think they had a satellite dish or something on the first one and they had internet. that would be pretty sweet.