Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Flexdrive capacitor

So 2007Revolution sent me a kit to assemble it for him, but the capacitor of the flexdrive shown below is gone somehow. drlava sent me a cap but it never arrived and i contacted him about the spec of the capacitor but he did not reply yet( weeks passed ), so I have to repair it myself. Any way I can replace it with another one ? Can someone find out the spec for me? I dont know how you can calculate the capacitance or voltage..

flex%20cap.JPG

HIMNL9

Not sure 100%, but it looks as a filter capacitor only ..... usually they are 100nF, but in some cases they are also lower values.

Anyway, you can do a test yourself, if you want ..... start with a 10nF ceramic capacitor and try the flexdrive with a dummy load at low current, say, 300 or 400mA, and if you see instability, switch to a 100nF one.

Thanks, will do that. I have a spare flexdrive also. Is there a way I can find out the specs of that cap myself?

Hang on, let me grab my C meter...

I've got a reading of .388uF.

Last edited:

HIMNL9

If you don't have a capacitance meter, it's hard, cause those SMD reduced size don't have any indication codes printed on them.

I had to buy a c-meter clip for this purpose, when i started to work with SMD components ..... at that time it was high-cost tool, but recently they lowered the prices a lot, and maybe on those "radioshack" stores they are also cheaper than on ebay ..... as far as i know, it's the only way for get these values .....

EDIT: @ Meatball: as for the value from your reading, you must also considerate the rest of the circuit, if you measure it in-circuit ;)

Hmm.. well its a dead flexdrive anyways. Let me just rip that little thing off and I can get you a C rating. The only V rating I could get is if I measured it on a live circuit- the kind I don't have atm. Sorry!

EDIT: Sorry. Cap somehow got completely obliterated when I scraped it off the board.

Call me the SMD dunce.

Sorry Silvershot!

Perhaps consider buying one of these?

Tenma LCR Meter | 72-8155 (728155) | Tenma
72-8155.jpg

HIMNL9

I've got one of these ones, also, and for hobby level they are good enough too (and cheaper ;))

But for SMD, you need also a set of tweezers-clips, for use with them.

EDIT: i mean something like this thing ;)

Last edited: