Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Fixing blue laser?

Hi,
Thanks guys yes these was nothing wrong with it just some crappy battery issues. It still does over 1W+ I took the sink out and the board was glued in with the ground wire protruding out to contact the host. I have node about the driver , diode setup didn't look any further.

Rich:)

Looks like a simple 501B host. The normal heat sink you get with these is not very large, so 1 watt is a lot better option in this host than 2+ watts. I used one to build a 487nm laser for my daughter using a Nano Boost driver set to 275 mA. With the two element 520nm AR coated lens from DTR it outputs 110 mW. It is a good host to use for these powers as you don't saturate the heat sink with waste heat in just a few seconds. The only place where air can remove heat is through the top cap on the host. Not the best way to do this.

GSS

I don't think the 501B sinks from SciFi or in general are that bad. Yes Rich makes them nice and big and extended but this is the one that came in my SciFi 501B.

Attachments

• IMG_20181207_090858.jpg
    IMG_20181207_090858.jpg
    676.6 KB · Views: 6
Yeah that is the typical size of the heat sinks offered for years in these hosts. It's not a bad host. I have used it to build many lasers. But, it is limited.

Hi, The 501B's can handle 2W's easy and can run them for at least a minute or a little more . The way I machine a sink it is very possible to get longer run times from these builds. You can have it in all AL or even with aCU core pressed in that make the run time even longer with not that much heating. I also ran some diodes very close to 3W's in a 501B for aminute or so and ingest warm but not hot. Did plenty that way for customers and they are still running strong no come backs. So that's the real proof of how much you can run these.

Saying that the diode hasn't failed yet is a distressingly poor proof of an adequate heat sink. Because the aluminum heat sink is enveloped inside the host, it is unremarkable that it only feels warm to the touch. But, if you are comfortable using such tiny heat sinks for 2+ and 3 watt diodes, that is totally on you. I would not.

GSS

I'm under the impression that the C6 host was basicly ok for the days of the 1W blue's being the rage and then then the 501B's for the 2W's that came out..

PantsR4squares

I received my laser back today😊 Super pleased to have it working again!! I really appreciate the custom focus lense you added for free, a nice surprise i didn't expect and is much appreciated! You were helpful and honest to a noob that's new to this hobby, thank you much Rich.

Hi, You are so welcome there was nothing wrong with the laser . The diode and driver were fine the batteries you chose were not up to snuff.
Good batteries are the best to use in a handheld laser. Glad you are happy buddy. Enjoy..