Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First Post, just need some help

Platupus999

So for my first laser i just want to build a simple <100mw laser and i would also like to build the driver as well because making one without a driver is too easy. Anyway I'm looking for a laser diode in this range however all the listing on ebay (for me) usually have drivers included unless they are like 0.5w which for my first laser seems a bit high. I would just like to know how i could get JUST the laser diode with no driver. As well as that it looks i like i will need a lm317 (which i can get), resistor (i have loads) and some tutorials/guides say i need a capcitor which i am still not sure why i need one and how to use it.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated and i am looking forward to making my first laser!

To start with, make sure you understand the dangers with lasers and how to use them safely.
There is a lot of information on this forum that can be found by using the search bar also, so don't forget that resource.

I would agree with your decision to start with lower power first. If you want a unique color (wavelength) you can use get some 505nm or 488nm diodes on ebay for not that much. The best option might be to buy directly from DTR's shop already pressed into the axiz module.

505nm is a beautiful emerald green color and it's a case positive diode so a custom build with a lm317 would be a good match, you don't have to make it the typical flashlight style build, a small aluminum box style build can have great runtime as well and still be pocket friendly.

I don't use any caps in my lm317 builds but you will want to use a mounting insulator as the mounting tab and center pin are common.

Don't forget to wear laser safety glasses when working with any laser over 5mw.

Last edited:

Platupus999

ive found a driverless 405nm 50mw laser diode which i will use as my first project, do you know why i would need a capacitor? and i really need a way of getting blue blocking goggles. the problem is they are all like above £30 and i dont have much money so i need a cheap but reliable blue/violet blocking laser

Platupus999

505nm is a beautiful emerald green color and it's a case positive diode so a custom build with a lm317 would be a good match, you don't have to make it the typical flashlight style build, a small aluminum box style build can have great runtime as well and still be pocket friendly.

I don't use any caps in my lm317 builds but you will want to use a mounting insulator as the mounting tab and center pin are common.

Don't forget to wear laser safety glasses when working with any laser over 5mw.
do you know where i can get cheap-ish laser goggles for 405nm lasers (i dont have much money for expensive ones from survival lasers)

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Don't try too hard to save $$ on laser safety goggles/glasses. What are your eyes worth to you?

The Eagle Pair from Survival' are reliable and relatively inexpensive.

Philipnzw

ive found a driverless 405nm 50mw laser diode which i will use as my first project, do you know why i would need a capacitor? and i really need a way of getting blue blocking goggles. the problem is they are all like above £30 and i dont have much money so i need a cheap but reliable blue/violet blocking laser

Caps are needed as they help to smooth out voltage/current spikes. Laser diodes are quite susceptible to any electrical ripple.

About the safety goggles, well they always cost a ton anyway. (tbh this hobby IS slightly costly)
There are cheap and genuine ones but they are sold on Taobao, it's probably hard to buy from there and might cost a lot to get shipped to you.
I'd recommend going to a local spectacle shop to get some UV blocking spectacle/ sunglasses. My glasses have a UV blocking coating and it makes a 150mW 405nm laser barely visible. Obviously this only works for lower powered lasers and probably only up to 410nm.

But that's just my 2 cents. It's obviously a better idea to get proper safety goggles.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
50mW of single mode 405nm laser can do....... most unkind things to your retina, before you can blink. OK, £33 might seem expensive now, but it could seem really cheap very suddenly, quite literally in a flash.

I don't know what the actual specs on 'UV blocking' sunglass lenses are so I can't recommend them, but I'm sure they'd probably be better than nothing.

Yea, get some proper laser safety glasses that will attenuate the wavelength you are working with, they don't have to be certified as long as they do the job, some of the Chinese glasses simply don't work, but ( Eagle Pair ) from Survival Lasers have tested well in the reviews I have seen, many here including myself use them.

Platupus999

50mW of single mode 405nm laser can do....... most unkind things to your retina, before you can blink. OK, £33 might seem expensive now, but it could seem really cheap very suddenly, quite literally in a flash.

I don't know what the actual specs on 'UV blocking' sunglass lenses are so I can't recommend them, but I'm sure they'd probably be better than nothing.
yeah i kinda do wanna be able to see...
ill order them when i know everything i am doing.