Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

first laser build help

ok well i just bought a rckstr driver Micro-Drive V3 adjustable driver (assembled) - $13.00 : rkcstr.com, Micro-Drive and laser diode electronics
now what i am going to do when i get is connect a multi meter to the diode terminals then attach battery and adjust the pot untill i get the right voltage output (is this right) then i want to attach my 10mw diode after i have some succewith that i want to detach the diode then attach a dvd burner diode but do dvd burner red diodes burn?wats there MW. the driver should it be able to drive it . i will up date yoou when i build it .

Things

To test the driver, you want to measure the current it's outputting. To do this, some drivers can just be directly shorted thru your DMM and read the current, but others don't like being shorted, and you will need to use a test load. You need do do this BEFORE connecting it to the diode, or you risk killing it!

When you detach diodes, or before you attach them, make sure the driver is TURNED OFF, and you MUST short the output of the driver, to make sure it doesn't have any charged capacitors or anything, which would send a spike into your diode.

also 10mw is not a burner. what dvd burner are you taking it out of? also after you use your test/dummy load to set the pot, you will wand to shout out the driver by touching the pos and neg terminals together to discharge the capacitor on that driver. be careful in the futer because if you get a dr.lava driver it will break if you do that.

michael

can i use any diodes for the test load i have heaps of the same unknown diode there the clear rwed with black stripe? or cani just put positive to where the positibve of the diode goes on the board and the same for the negative? does anyone know if i can just do that?
cheers

p.s do different burners have different diodes? do most of them burn im geting it out of a computer? so pls tell me what sort of diodes u can get out of computers,dvd players burners etc.that burn
cheers

Last edited:
you typically want a 16x or 22x dvd burner... also as for your diode question i am confused and can not help. look up memeber rog8811 go to his website and you will find instructions on how to build a dummy load.

michael.