Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First laser build, help needed: Green 10mW 532nm

MonotonousDiode

First off, apologies if these questions are just plain stupid, this is my first build as I'm interested in starting out with the hobby.
I'm looking to make a green laser, operated by button, I'm planning on using this part: 10mW 532nm Green Laser Diode Dot Module.

have a 9V battery, a potentiometer and a button, using the potentiometer I can alter the 9V battery output to 5V (the diode's requirement) and simply run it through the button to the diode. I can deal with a case and heatsink later, as for now I'm just going with the utter, bare basics of a build. Essentially merely making a laser diode turn on.

The components when hooked up should run in this order: 9V Battery>Potentiometer>Button>Diode
However my main question is that I've heard about laser drivers, and wondered if I'd need one for this rather than just going from what is essentially a 5V battery straight to the diode, and if so what type, and where should I attach it?
As a final question, is a 10mW green laser dangerous, if viewed unprotected through a reflection, such as off glass or a mirror? I know the beam directly hitting your eye is dangerous above 5mW, and 10mW isn't enough for the "dot" itself to be dangerous, but what about a possible reflection? As this is my first build I planned to use something higher than most commercial laser pointers (the common £10 things on Ebay) but not dangerous enough to require eye protection, assuming the beam doesn't directly hit the eye.

Again, apologies if this is a rather stupid question to ask.

Giannis_TDM

First off, apologies if these questions are just plain stupid, this is my first build as I'm interested in starting out with the hobby.
I'm looking to make a green laser, operated by button, I'm planning on using this part: 10mW 532nm Green Laser Diode Dot Module.

have a 9V battery, a potentiometer and a button, using the potentiometer I can alter the 9V battery output to 5V (the diode's requirement) and simply run it through the button to the diode. I can deal with a case and heatsink later, as for now I'm just going with the utter, bare basics of a build. Essentially merely making a laser diode turn on.

The components when hooked up should run in this order: 9V Battery>Potentiometer>Button>Diode
However my main question is that I've heard about laser drivers, and wondered if I'd need one for this rather than just going from what is essentially a 5V battery straight to the diode, and if so what type, and where should I attach it?
As a final question, is a 10mW green laser dangerous, if viewed unprotected through a reflection, such as off glass or a mirror? I know the beam directly hitting your eye is dangerous above 5mW, and 10mW isn't enough for the "dot" itself to be dangerous, but what about a possible reflection? As this is my first build I planned to use something higher than most commercial laser pointers (the common £10 things on Ebay) but not dangerous enough to require eye protection, assuming the beam doesn't directly hit the eye.

Again, apologies if this is a rather stupid question to ask.
Hey a few things: The module will already include a driver.
The Ir pump diodes vf is about 2,2v max.
using cv(constant voltage) is not a way to drive laser diodes so you cannot use just a battery and potentiometer connected to the diode, Laser diodes are current-controlled devices meaning that you need to supply a constant current using a driver circuit, not a constant voltage.
Keep In mind, Potentiometers are not meant to handle high powers so don't use it to drop the voltage.
10mw should be safe enough even in a reflection just make sure the reflection is not from a mirror. Just make sure it's a quality 10mw module else it could be closer to 50-80 and that could damage your vision way more easily with a reflection.
This is what you do:
Find a local electronics/vape shop/battery shop that sells 18650 batteries, Get a single 18650, and hock it up to the module, 4.2v is ideal for these modules.

Encap

First off--there are no 532nm diodes, therefore no drivers for them either so...

Yes --all laser diodes need a constant current supply driver--they are not constant voltage devices.
All a module complete with driver needs is constant voltage---so sounds like any 5V source will light it up what you are getting.

Avoid any reflections especially directly in the eye---yes 10mW can cause eye damage see:https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/classes-menu.html and see their laser hazard chart here: https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/resources/FAA---visible-laser-hazard-calcs-for-LSF-v02.png

If you want to learn more about laser safety and how to calcualte hazard see/study this best and comprehensive web site: https://www.laserpointersafety.com/

PS All of the listed 532 10mW modules offered on eBay and elsewhere already have drivers included/integral in the module---all you need to do is apply the specified voltage.

Since you in the UK have a look at UK resource Odic Force https://odicforce.com/

Rather than use a 9v for anything that 'likes' 5 vdc --all USB and chargers are 5vdc. Portable batt packs w/ usb are 5vdc-- I have often felt that the mini usb port should be on lasers. It could run the laser and/or charge the batt(s).
You would never need to take the batt from the lasers. Rreading much of what you need will take more time than I think you expect. I learn something new every day.. SEARCH! both here and at google and find SAM-- his help is awesome. (Sam's Laser FAQ)--- The only questions Sam likes to get are the very VERY few not already answered in Sam's Laser... (IE do your own 'homework' please)

read the many links you have been given..
ps
this cannot be done in a short time.
I dont think you understand how much time/study is needed.
Lasers are not flahlights.

good luck--hak