Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First laser ~ $100

Hi there,

After playing around with a friends laser last night I'd also like to buy a proper laser... I've been looking around for a bit but it seems there're huge differences between the different manufacturers and I don't really know whats good and whats not.

So my first question, can you get a good laser (Green or blue) for around $100?

And about the strength, obviously it should be as strong as possible but then again it shouldn't be too dangerous. And yes, I do know that you should never point a laser at anyone but if its so strong that you could get serious eye damage just from looking at the spot it might be a bit too strong.

edit: I'd like to light matches and stuff with it... is it even possible to get a laser capable of doing that for $100?

Can anyone recommend a laser or an online shop?
I've been clicking around a lot but lots of offers seem to good to be true...

Cheers

Last edited:

Well, you first should decide on your color.

Green will be much brighter than blue per mW, but blue lasers come in high powers and are good for burning.

Lighting matches with a $100 green laser is possible, and you're looking at 100-200mW of power.

On the other hand, you can get yourself a 1-1.5W blue laser, and that certainly will be better for burning for $100.

LPF's buy, sell, trade section has many blue selections, and if you're looking for a specific company, I would recommend lazerer.com, as they have great customer service and their products are always on spec, unlike those who claim 200mW green for $50.

Cheers! :beer:

Hey thanx for your reply... About the color, I don't really mind it that much... as long as it isn't red.
But good to know blue one's are better for burning stuff. I actually thought they're way more expensive ;)
But if you say green lasers are much brighter, does that mean the chances of eye damage are lower when using a blue laser?

And thanks for the link, I'll have a look at lazerer.com!

oh and one more thing, I'd buy safety goggles with it... If you point one of these laser at your eyes while wearing goggles, will your eyes still get damaged?
Not that I'm planning on doing so haha.... Just wondering how effective these goggles are. I'm kinda curious to try such a strong laser but then again it kinda scares the shit out of me and I'm not willing to trade my eye sight for 5min of fun.

Last edited:
No problem!

No, the interesting thing is, the "mW" is the factor that causes eye damage, not color. So if you have a 20mW green and 20mW blue, even though the green will appear much more brighter, they will inflict the same amount of damage.
(Greens can flash blind, whereas a blue cannot--a blue pointer will cause permanent damage before it flash blinds, but more on that later. :p)

If you have proper goggles, your eyes will be fine even if you do receive a direct hit. However, be careful of IR radiation in green lasers and blue lasers over 0.5W can burn through the goggles if you intentionally point it at them.

You're right; you can't put a price on your vision. Have fun but be safe!

Okay I watched some more vids etc. and I think I'll go for a blue one with around 1000mw.

Looks like you can do some real fun stuff with these lasers :D

Think about working your way up to 1W since this will be your first "proper" laser.

My 1st laser was less than 100mW. Get familiar with higher power lasers and how they behave. They can be unforgiving.

You'll be less likely to make a "mistake" when you start venturing into the 1W or more territory if you get some experience first.

Good luck & keep reading & asking questions :beer:

Hi there,

After playing around with a friends laser last night I'd also like to buy a proper laser... I've been looking around for a bit but it seems there're huge differences between the different manufacturers and I don't really know whats good and whats not.

So my first question, can you get a good laser (Green or blue) for around $100?

Paying more for good quality is , in the end paying less--if the cheaper one fails soon (like right after the warranty is gone)

And about the strength, obviously it should be as strong as possible but then again it shouldn't be too dangerous. And yes, I do know that you should never point a laser at anyone but if its so strong that you could get serious eye damage just from looking at the spot it might be a bit too strong.

Getting serious eye damage from just looking at the spot is not too likely- mostly you will see after images not unlike peeking at the sun- One guy measuring the spots on a 445 to figure divergance was left with a temporary loss of some colors- IRRC he said his lawn looked grey instead of green for a day- but that went away-
It is extememly hard to measure spots w/o proper eye protection anyway. You will see the actual spot better. Some use thier glasses in front of the calera to take a more accurate pic of the spot-

edit: I'd like to light matches and stuff with it... is it even possible to get a laser capable of doing that for $100?
For most the facination with buring thigs fades quicklt-- TBH that orqctice is mainly interesting to newcomers and of course anyone who has never seen a laser burn thing-- IT IS however a VERY good way to show just HOW bad a shot into the eyes can be-- any laser that will burn wood would be VERY bad for the eyes IMO.

Can anyone recommend a laser or an online shop?

I would suggest buying agently used one form a member .
You can make a WTB thread as well- PM coming on one I may part with-- spartan 532/100 a VERY sweet 18650- price was $200 new.

I've been clicking around a lot but lots of offers seem to good to be true...

Cheers

No problem!

No, the interesting thing is, the "mW" is the factor that causes eye damage, not color. So if you have a 20mW green and 20mW blue, even though the green will appear much more brighter, they will inflict the same amount of damage.

^^ that is mostly true- HOWever- IR is bad at any mW and there is a problem with our eyes and Blu-ray-- just like blacklights- our eyes dialate in darkness-- allowing in more light

Br has the same effect AFAIK so even a low power 405 can be bad as our eyes stay dialated
thus allowing more light to enter the eye.

If you have proper goggles, your eyes will be fine even if you do receive a direct hit. However, be careful of IR radiation in green lasers and blue lasers over 0.5W can burn through the goggles if you intentionally point it at them.

You're right; you can't put a price on your vision. Have fun but be safe!

hope that this has beenboth helpful and accurate--hak

r1Bro

I'd recommend doing a 405nm (violet) laser, around 200mw. Still burns stuff still has a visible beam and is UV so it will make object glow that glow under UV light. I burnt my first diode out luckily it was only $25, a 1w blue would be about $50 I think just for the diode. And that would really suck burning it out!! I'd play it safe and do a cheaper build first then if you still want something stronger later then go back and do a 1w blue. But for what you want it for I think you would be fine with something around 200mw to 300mw. Also as for a site i'd really check out cajunlasers idk if I can post a link so just google it. :D