Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First FAILURE :PHR-803T Laser

Re: First build; PHR-803T Laser

37iK4.jpg

First light!

V5TEb.jpg

Driver and Module! (not the finished product, I promise :) )

The actual diode output does NOT look like that; It's more of a dot with a bit of light around it. It focuses really well. I think the camera is just saturating from all dem photons. :p

Good job on your first build! That's awesome you got it working :) I can't wait to see it when its in the host you said you'll modify.

Spyro

Le Quack thats a nice build!!! You need to adjust the current on that driver but remember DO NOT TURN TOO MUCH THE POTENTIOMETER, TURN UNTIL THE BRIGHTEST AND NO MORE!!And you probably will need a heatsink :3

Hiemal

Well, as of this moment, it's just a linear low dropout voltage driver I made.

I'm still waiting on my actual boost driver, so I don't have to use 9 volt batteries anymore o:

Hiemal

Alright, I'm gonna get my boost driver tomorrow...and then building time!

Hiemal

Got it, built the laser, she works wonderfully. Though, of course for some reason part of the inductor top bit broke off....cheap ferrite is fragile apparently.

It even fits in an aixiz module perfectly! Though, the current is set a little higher now. It gets quite warm to the touch during operation...so I'm waiting until I get a heatsink to suck all the warms away from it otherwise the diode would die in the flashlight! I noticed the pot is ridiculously sensitive to turns... But, it works, and I'm not going to complain when I can run a blu-ray diode just fine off of one li-ion battery. Even though it advertises being able to go up to 400 mA, the highest I could get it to set was around 120 mA. I tried using a test load to gauge what current would come out... it seemed to be fairly accurate. I believe it's running at around 100 mA, which is perfect for a PHR diode.

I also had kind of a scare; When I had hooked it up, and screwed the back part of the aixiz module on, I connected the battery, and it appeared my diode had gone LED... I also had to eat at that moment, and spent the entire dinner time thinking "oh god oh god".

Went back downstairs, and noticed the potentiometer had moved during my screwing on... well, okay. I readjusted it to a reasonable value, tested the diode, and it lases again. It can even heat up my palm pretty quickly, so I'm sure it'll be a fantastic burner when I'm all done and finished :)

Last edited:

Awesome, post some pictures of the module! Visually update us the progress :D

Hiemal

but of course!

HhnvT.jpg

Module, and Driver! (the driver is hidden ;) )

o8osF.jpg

PEW PEW PEW PEW

1GNvb.jpg

PHOTON OVERLOAD

Last edited:

Plopped the diode into the aixiz module, and started to crank the vice slowly, when I hear a sickening *snap* below me.

My eyes wide and my body shaking in fear, I pull apart the vice...

And the back of the aixiz module broke.

Wat.

LOL that same thing happened to me when i was building my 445. It sure is scary xD.

Hiemal

It is. I was so scared I had crushed my poor diode! xD

Yeah, diodes are sensitive little buggers. Count yourself lucky you didn't kill your first one! I managed to kill a good four diodes before I got even one working back when I started.

Anyway, good job on the work so far :D Can't wait to see some perty pictures in the host!

Hiemal

Yep, I'm just waiting on le heatsink! 8D

THE ANTICIPATION IS KILLING ME :shhh:

Yep, I'm just waiting on le heatsink! 8D

THE ANTICIPATION IS KILLING ME :shhh:

So did you opt for the heatsink instead of drilling a hole in the "plastic thing" like you said in our PM's? Probably a better choice, the heatsink. :) Out of curiosity, who's making it or you?

Hiemal

Wolfman29 is going to be making the heatsink for me, whenever he gets the chance to.

I helped him out with designing his new SMPS and laser driver...

I'm really good with electronics. I've built a lot of things in the past, including an induction heater, a small buck converter, flyback drivers, plasma speakers, all sorts of things.

If you need help with something like that I'd be more than happy to help, by the way! :D

Hiemal

So... Wolfman29 is going to be busy making other people's heatsinks for now...

So, I guess I'm sort of out of luck for now.

Also, when I was fooling around with the module, I noticed that the laser doesn't focus correctly.

Which way does the aixiz lens go into the module? The way I've had it was so the lens was CLOSER to the diode, rather than the other way around.

When I flipped it around, the laser seemed a lot more focused and burned stuff a LOT better (that's not what I'm looking for, but asides that) however, I couldn't get it to focus right with the ring that comes with the module.

As in, over a short distance the ring wouldn't allow the lens to go any further within the module and thus the laser would be extremely out of focus across the way in my basement. How do you tell when a laser is focused to infinity, and what am I doing wrong here lens wise?