Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

first ever white laser developed

I think for domestic application there is little reason to go for a low CRI solution.

In the >80lm/W category, you can't beat metal halide as far as lumens/$ initial cost :D

>60 CRI of metal halide is good enough for industrial and commercial lighting (and by good enough, I mean it's widely used without complaint from those working under it). And it lights up my living room just fine. Sure, you might be able to tell the difference with a specialized set of color cards, but that's almost nitpicking at that point ;)

Benm

You might be able to tell with more trivial things. One example would be plastics with a color, and CMYK print on a label that is supposed to look (and does under good CRI) identical. A mismatch there will not really ruin your day, but it is noticable to some degree.

Then again it depends on situation and demand. With a CRI 40 lighting system you would probably be able to do quite some work just fine. You can tell a red from a green or black test lead easily. You could pick up the green and not the blue screwdriver is asked to and such.

But it can also lead to some problems in industrial lighting. It could be hard to tell if a band or a resistor was orange or red, allowing a factor-10 mistake.

As i work in the graphical industry as well i know it can be fairly dramatic. Print samples and such are just terrible under such light sources and are usually reviewed under halogen light just to make sure, though they don't look that bad under good quality fluorescents at all.

I'd say "general purpose" is a bit in between - at home you'd probably want a printed out photograph to show proper color, albeit not as stringent as when you want to use that photo for a billboard campaign or something like that.

Using metal halide for domestic lighting is probably fairly unusual, but i remember them being used in exam halls at university and yieling adequate color rendition to read different colored lines in graphs and such. It should be noted that these halls were designed to be used as sports halls and had the lights as they were from that time - i suppose they would have chosed different ones if designing for the ultimate use.

Encap

Good news!!

OK, we have some word back from Dr. Cun-Zheng NIng and will have more!!

When I initially emailed Dr. Cun-Zheng Ning to take a look at the 2 LPF threads about his work he was out of the Country on travel and very very busy and responded only very briefly that he would be back in late August.

Dr. Ning followed up and responded again via email on 14 August to say he read the LPF threads about his work and saw some questions he would like to answer however he can't do that until his backlog of obligated tasks, accumulated while he was out of Country, have been addressed and taken care of.

He will post some answers as soon as he catches up with the large amount of work that accmulated while he was outof Country.

I will follow up with Dr. Ning via telephone next week sometime.
I think would be great if Dr. Ning would agree to take questions from LPF members interested is asking some questions concerning his work and posting responses. I will ask if he has the time and is willing/interested to do something like that.

Below are the 2 emails he sent to me:

Sent: 04 August, 2015 4:57 PM
To: Encap
Subject: RE: RGB nanosheet "white" laser
Hi, Sorry to miss your phone call. Yes, I am travelling outside of the US. I will be returning to AZ in late August.

CZ

AND

Sent: 14 August, 2015 5:00 AM
To: Encap
Subject: RE: RGB nanosheet "white" laser
Hi, Encap:
Thanks so much for your interest. I did spend some time to read some of posts at the website you pointed to. I am sorry that I could not take enough time to respond to the posts at the moment. Things have been really hectic. I have been doing a lot of catches up after many conference trips in addition to dealing with reviewing many papers for various Journals. And now the school starts next week.

I will see if I could try to respond to some of the posts after the initial phase of the new semester.

Best
CZ

SOG

Thank for sending him an E-mail, hope he can join us.

By the way, where is the Doctor from?

I have read somewhere that we can use laser for the fusion in the near future, but I wonder when we can master this technology.

I invited the guy, Dr. Cun-Zheng Ning, who headed the team that did the work, via email, to take a look at the two threads on LPF about his work and come on as a guest/visitor to explain and answer any questions members might have.. Thought it would be enjoyable and interesting for members to have him come here and perhaps go online and answer a few questions.

Is a very good and capable bright guy--Dr Cun-Zheng Ning, Professor of Electrical Engineerging.
See: ASU Ning's Nanophotonics Group ASU Ning's Nanophotonics Group

Will call and see if he can/will do, next week.

This was the email I sent to him:

""Dear Dr. Ning:
I tried to reach you on telephone today but was probably too late at 6:30PM EST. Will try again tomorrow or earlier in the day next week.

I wanted/want to contact for 3 reason.
1. To remark how brilliant the marketing of your nanophotonics project nano RGB wire as World’s First White Laser is—love what you are doing---hope/wish the promotion brings excellent funding and 大获成功 (great success).

2. To let you know about a forum group http://laserpointerforums.com .
I participate in the forum and there are 2 posts about your work there you might like to see. The forum has many highly technologically knowledgeable members along with many no so much so ---they all have one thing in common that they enjoy lasers and laser technology as a hobby.
Here is a link to the most busy post about your work first ever white laser developed http://laserpointerforums.com/f54/first-ever-white-laser-developed-94549.html and here is the link to the other one White semiconductor lasers? Please explain. http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/white-semiconductor-lasers-please-explain-94544.html

3. To invite you to post a comment on either of the threads or whatever you think would be appropriate in either of the 2 threads about your work---am certain the laser enthusiasts of LPF would be thrilled if you were to do so---is not often that people of your level doing R,D,T and E engineering of new laser technology post comments but is always a day to celebrate when they do so.

Best regards,"

Encap

Thank for sending him an E-mail, hope he can join us.

By the way, where is the Doctor from?

I have read somewhere that we can use laser for the fusion in the near future, but I wonder when we can master this technology.

SOG -- you ask "where is the Doctor from" -- if the answer was any closer it would bite you --was so close right in front of your eye that you missed it. It was right there in the quoted post within your post.

See: Arizona State University, Ning's Nanophotonics Group ASU Ning's Nanophotonics Group

From Dr. Ning's Nanophtonics Group home page: " Welcome to the home page of the ASU Nanophotonics Lab at Arizona State University. We are located in the Goldwater Center of ASU's Tempe campus. The group is directed by Professor Cun-Zheng Ning of the School of Electrical, Computer,and Energy Engineering, Ira Fulton Schools of Engineering. We are also affiliated with the Center for Solid State Electronics Research and the Arizona Institute for Nano-Electronics."

Last edited:

Benm

Very nice to hear that he will take some time to look at the forum and the questions raised here!

Looking forward to any answers :)

^^^ me too.

although most is pretty much over my old head--

the work they are doing is fasinating--