Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First Build

Just did my first build. Not fully completed yet but the risky parts seem to have gone smooth so far. It's a simple build. Basically a LPC-815 long can diode, aixiz module and rckstr driver running off 2 - 3.7 V lithium cells in series. The nice part is that I didn't ask a single question for this build. I read the material that has been posted here, used the search feature, used google, spec sheets, etc. You can accomplish a lot when you take the time to read.

After adjusting the current and then soldering the leads taking care to avoid static and avoid overheating the diode I tested the diode running it very conservatively at 290 mA. It lit up fine and everything looks good. I kept the run times very short because I don't have it in a heat-sink yet. Tomorrow I'll mount it into a heat sink and I'll see if I can raise up the current. I hear that these particular diodes can take around 350 mA -380 mA I hears some people push them up over 400 mA. However, I dunno of I'll push it that high.

In any event thanks for all the great info on this site. it was a big help in getting this project as far as I did without anything blowing up...:D

Last edited:

Awesome job! :gj: I respect that you spent the time to research instead of just asking like most other newbs. :beer:

Kevlar

Yes. +1 for you sir!! :beer: That's for doing your research first and not just starting a thread "Help building a lazor plz!!".

Feels pretty good having a successful build huh. Well now you're hooked. Hold on to your wallet!!! LOL.

I'm going to send noobs to this thread when they say "I've used the search and I can't sift through 30 threads looking for my answer".

Congrats on your first build!!

I like it when a new member can research on his own
and accomplish a build...:gj:

How about some pics of your build....:yh:

Jerry

Haha. Well said, kevlar. I like this guys initiative. +1 to you, buddy for your initiative. ;)

COOL! :gj: ...That sounds a lot like what I did...
Not long ago, I was a noob with laser diodes, but not so much anymore since I did all my research online for myself, and I learned a lot!!
My first test was actually a 1000mW 808nm, which I overpowered and it took a dump in about 5 minutes, OOPS!....
My current project is 240mW 650nm in a custom-mod flashlight host, and that's going good so far!

...My next will be a 1500mW 445nm with a custom made heat sink, a Micro FlexDrive V5,
and a modified Adjustable Focus CREE Q5 torch host, along with a key switch that I'll add for safety!
(decent hosts can be purchased from eBay for dirt cheap! ..many under $15! -from China, but who cares, cuzz they are in good shape and they can do the job!).

Btw, the 1.5W 445nm LD will come from DTR (http://laserpointerforums.com/members/dtr/)!

dtr-lpf on eBay: (eBay My World - dtr-lpf) :D

Very nice. Post pics if you can? I think we'd love to see it.

yup... I'll be posting pics here after I finish and test em'!
...I'll also likely post some vids on youtube of it burning stuff! :D

First and foremost, I want to thank everyone for the kind and encouraging words.

Fortunately I have some background with electronics as it has been a hobby of mine for many years. Decades ago I built a 0.5 mW He-Ne laser. However I was new to laser diodes. I figured, instead of flooding the forums with dozens of noob questions that have probably been asked time and time again. Let me see what the search function brings up I wasn't disappointed. There was more than enough info to get me through my first build.

Yes, it is very satisfying to accomplish a successful build. Much more satisfaction than simply buying a ready made laser... although I have quite a few of those too.

Now I am already thinking of what to build next. Maybe a blue-violet laser build.

Meanwhile I am running this laser at about 340-350 mA. I could probably push it harder but I think I'll leave it be for now. It has a lot of burning power... lights red wooden matches in a fraction of a second and cuts black CD cases. I have it sort of JS'ed together. I am going to try and assemble it into some sort of a host. I'll also see it I can get a few pics or videos up soon.