Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First build questions

Anthony P

This will be my first attempt at an actual handheld laser pointer. I have read many threads here, but still a little unsure. I am starting to get some of the jargon, but not all. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Nothing is etched in stone. I am looking at DTR's Sharp 700mW 638 in 12mm copper with driver, and Survival Laser DIY stainless steel host assembly with extended tapered heat sink.

I asked Survival if additional hardware would be required. This is the answer
"You would want a battery contact board and pill module if the driver is already attached to the diode, a lens, extended focusing ring and external lens spring."

Do I order a pill module with this? DTR's module includes driver. Or should I order without driver and get a "pill driver module" from survival?
Are battery contacts up to me to fashion?
What do I do about extended focusing ring and lens spring?
At what power do acrylic lenses become a problem?
My goal is a build that runs on 18650 battery(s) and is easy to swap out lenses. I intend to buy one of every lens in order to gain first hand knowledge and experience of their effects.

What Survival meant when they said you would need a contact board is some drivers are round and used as contact boards themselves. I have never liked SS hosts as steel has terrible thermal conductivity and even if the heat sink is copper, if the steel is around it, it cannot release its heat to the air. If it were my build I would look for a different host.

I know the Sharp diode has better divergence specs than the Mitsubishi or Oclaro, but it is still not good. If you are determined to build this as your first laser pointer you will see that for yourself. I wouldn't use an acrylic lens on anything over 400 mW. You can buy contact springs on eBay which you would use on your pill, or contact board unless the dimensions are too tight, then you would go without.

I think that is all of your questions.

Hi,
As Paul stated SS hosts look nice but dont go over well fo heat distribution for the diode. All SL Aluminum hosts with a copper heat sink will be well suited for your build . As for the Oclaro diode they dont seem to holdup well after periods of time, My I suggest the Mitsu 500 diode With a driver set to 1A to 1.2A you can get over 1W of 638nm WL. And they are very dependable for long time use. Mind you they are an open can diode so just be careful when you change a lens so no dust or stuff gets to it. This diode is my personal favorite the Mitsu 500 is a work horse.

Rich:)

Anthony P

Thank you, gentlemen. I went S4 aluminum host bundle designed specifically for the DTR 20mm copper module Mits 500.
I ordered all the 638 range lenses both stores had to offer. I have read here about other lenses (G7, aspheric, etc). Is there a good place to order other lenses or should I just shop around?

Hi, If your buying from DTR stay with that vendor he has top quality items , sure you can get cheaper but you get what you pay for remember that. DTR is one stop shopping and he backs up all his items awesome guy. The 3 e lens is for better divergence with a lower power output, and the G2 will give you more out out power if you dont care to much about divergence. Buy both so you can change off and see for yourself.

Rich:)