Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First build questions! (thread formerly known as Ebay 100mW 405nm )

BrianM

So a while back I picked up a 20mW 405nm laser pointer for pretty cheap. It kind of got me hooked. Well, due to a series of unfortunate events, it ended up breaking and I kind of forgot about the whole thing...until now. I got to poking around on the interwebs to see if i could come across any decent deals, and found this. For the price, it looks to be pretty decent...something to get me back into things. Just curious what your opinions are on it or others like it (these).

Any input is much appreciated. If that isn't worth the money, what would be? I'm looking for something half way decent in the sub $50 range (as far fetched as that may be). Violet/blue is what I'm looking for, but I'm open to alternatives. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Gun

Re: Ebay 100mW 405nm

You do know that it is a "plug-in" module, not handheld? Just making sure :)

Techhood is a good seller (if I'm remembering correctly). The laser looks alright but not the best, there's 405nm lasers in handheld form on eBay as well, if that's what you're looking for.

BrianM

Not too worried about it being handheld or not. Truth be told, I kind of like the idea of a plug in module for my purposes.

Gun

I can understand that greatly.

That does look like a very good laser for the price, in my opinion :)

BrianM

So after doing a bit of shopping around and a little research, I think that I'm going to go with this build instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyfrNsoxaQ4

Seems like a whole lot more bang for my buck. I'll keep you guys posted!

Last edited:

Gun

Cool, PyroGadgets tutorials are very easy to follow :)

BrianM

So in that build, he uses the $60 module from this site. Would the $90 one be interchangeable with it? I like the idea of the G2 lens.

Save the money. The G-2 is a fine lens, but has inferior beam divergence. It is only worth the money for the 405nm if you're primarily interested in maximum output. You'll have a prettier dot profile with the 405 3-element lens.