Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First build! + colour changing diode??

Killed a PL520B a couple of months back and it's next to the one in the module as size reference - They're the same package.

How much current was fed to that PL520 that killed it? Pretty much the first time I've heard of one of those actually dying.

How much current was fed to that PL520 that killed it? Pretty much the first time I've heard of one of those actually dying.
What I thought was initially ESD - and then later discovered it to be an intermittently grounded soldering iron tip - I measured 65V AC between the tip and ground with a painful amount of current leaking through.

I've yet to kill a diode from overdriving it - but I've killed one from that dodgy iron, and one other from slipping when pressing it in with an improvised tool and shearing off the pins.

That is a pain lesson to learn. I hate to lose diodes. I've never lost one to ESD or testing, but I did run through a couple of 405nm diodes several years ago. Had to run the current back on those.

What I thought was initially ESD - and then later discovered it to be an intermittently grounded soldering iron tip - I measured 65V AC between the tip and ground with a painful amount of current leaking through.

It sounds like one half of the AC wave is shorting to your iron's chassis. Get rid of that iron!

It sounds like one half of the AC wave is shorting to your iron's chassis. Get rid of that iron!
It's a TS100 temperature controlled DC powered soldering iron, with a crappy cheap switch-mode power supply giving it 19.5VDC. There's no grounded tip unless you add a ground wire (which solves the problem when it's not fallen off...) to a screw on the iron's handle.

It's not half of the Mains AC voltage as I live in the UK which has 240V mains. That was my first guess but I reckon now that the switch-mode DC brick I've got for it is really badly designed and the isolation within the power supply is inadequate - hence there being a decent amount of AC leakage current when the extra ground-wire for the tip comes loose. I know it's a power supply issue as when I run the iron from a higher quality power supply or directly from a battery it does not show the AC voltage on the tip.

Ideally I'd get a proper mains soldering station - but I haven't the space as my workbench shares duty with a dining table, so I make do with the TS100. It's a fantastic little gadget for doing soldering in odd places. A 4-cell LiPo battery pack hidden in a pocket makes it portable, and I've even used it to work on wiring in my car, powering it directly from the car's 12V socket.