Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First 445 build. I need some pointers

bmw

Hi guys, im looking to buy a M140 diode from DTR and i want to find a driver and host for it. I will probably buy it already pressed into a module with a Three Element Glass Lens (the $60 option from DTR). the host i would like to use is this: Aluminum Alloy Flashlight Housing Casing for UltraFire WF-501B - Blue - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
and i would need a heatsink and i think Eudaimonium makes heatsinks for this host?
For the driver i am not sure which one to use. i think i am correct in saying that i could run it off of 2 16340 batteries with a buck driver such as an X-Drive or i could use 1 18650 battery with a boost driver such as an X-Boost. which of these would be a better choice? and what amperage should i run it at? Would it be safe to get a 1.8 amp X-Drive?
Sorry about all the questions, im a noob at this (i have only built 1 lpc-815 and one phr 803t)

Thanks, Ben

For the driver, contact lazeerer on here, or Cliff from cajunlasers.com. That host looks about the same size as a C6, so 1 18650 batt with a boost driver is probably the way to go. More batteries usually just means longer times between charging. X-boost round drivers at 16.8mm are most likely a direct fit replacement to the stock driver that would come with that host if it were the complete light. I dont really know where you would put the driver in that host, since it doesnt seem to come with a pill. Maybe try to find the complete light, or look for a JAD kit in the B/S/T forum or whatnot.

Flamingpyro, jayrob, mrcrouse all make heatsinks and hosts.

1.8A is getting towards the high end on the diodes capabilities. 1.6A would be longer life, better duty cycles, and still pack a ton of power. You probably wouldnt be able to tell the difference from a 1.6A driven M-140 next to one driven at 1.8A anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: ARG

bmw

haha no but i noticed it a little after :D
Well i think i will end up using a hotlight kit i bought from mohrenberg a while ago(to cut the cost of this build). So i have the host and heatsink covered and it looks like i could follow DTR's tutorial here: http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/1...ue-18500-22600-host-kit-55922.html#post789119

And i could buy the 22600 2500mAh battery that he recommends. In that case i would need a boost driver, i would prefer a fixed current driver so i dont have to mess with setting it up but i cant find a fixed current boost driver exept for the benboost driver which only goes up to 1583ma and i was hoping to run it around 1.7 amps. another option is the 1.65 or 1.8 amp X-Boost driver which i would have to adjust and its $20(instead of $14 for the benboost). So i would use the benboost as it is cheaper but how many mw of power would i get at 1.6 amps with a three element glass lens? (just a rough estimate)

Last edited:
with the 3-element lens you can expect about 1mw per ma. So 1.7a would do 1700mw. Thats not always the case but seems to be about the norm. You can get more power out of the same current with a better lens.

Both the benboost mini v5 and x-boost drivers are good options (in my experience), but the x-boost adjustable 1.9A driver, round, would probably fit into the stock pill of your flashlight host, and therefore is a little cleaner looking, and easier to use. Adjusting the power output IS tougher than I had originally thought (see my thread a few down from this one) but if you take your time, you'll be able to figure it out. Heck, if you contact lazeerer, he might be able to send you a x-boost set to the current you want already!

The good thing about the adjustable driver, is that you can set it to the current you want, and if you end up changing your mind later on, just takes a little turn of the pot and you're set...

Last edited:

bmw

i see, well thanks for the advice. I will try contacting lazeerer to see if he will set the current, that would be really handy. but i was going to order some wire and heatshrink tubing with the benboost driver but if i ordered the X-Boost from laseerer i would be paying more in shipping charges. well ill talk to him and see if he can pre-set it.
(i just noticed that the 1.9 amp X-Boost drivers are out of stock at cajunlasers.com, Can i still buy them directly from laseerer?)

EDIT: I realized that a round driver may not work with DTR's driver heatsink modification, so i may go with the X-boost 1.8 amp mini or the X-boost 1.9 amp regular size(rectangular).

Last edited:
If i understand correctly, lazeerer sells them to Cliff, and then cliff sells them on cajun....

The few bucks extra is worth the adjustability IMO, and the cleaner look of the install... spring solders right onto the driver bottom (+), and the ground is just soldering the sides of the ring to the pill, so you just have two wires, the leads to the diode soldered to the other side.

If you have a m-140 from DTR, it probably already has lead wires coming from it, you might be able to slip them through the pill, solder them directly to the driver, and then solder the driver into the pill.... In that case, you wouldnt need wire or heatshrink, cause there wouldnt be any joints to insulate...

bmw

Oh so i cant buy them directly from lazeerer? If so how would i got one preset? and the build im doing is a bit different than you are thinking. just look through this tutorial which i will be following and you will see what im talking about:http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/c...t-w-driver-heatsink-mod-56660.html#post800377
So yeah im not using a pill for the driver, the side click button has the connections for the positive and i will be making the case negative(once you read the tutorial you will understand, just in case you arent sure what im talking about). Btw, do the diodes from DTR have all three pins with wires on them(if i buy it pressed into a module)?
Thanks for you help so far

That build has a nice way of utilizing a rectangular driver... so if thats the way you'd like to go, GO FOR IT! One of the nice things about building lasers, is you can do it just about any way YOU want....

PM lazeerer, tell him what you want and see what he says....

bmw

Ok, well i sent the pm yesterday, still waiting for a response. ill let you know how it goes, thanks for the help

bmw

he hasn't responded so i think i will go ahead and just buy the driver from cajunlasers.
So ill buy the X-Boost mini 1.8 amp, m140 diode in a module and with a three element glass lense, and a BRC 22600 2500mAh 3.7V Li-ion Battery, and some thermal epoxy. the total cost is under $100.

bmw

yeah i have some already, i use them for my 405nm but the work for both