Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Firearm laser?

N.I.

Looking for a laser for my shotgun to be used for sub/at 100 yard shots. Doing some initial research I am seeing that the size of the dot at range is dependent on it's mrad rating and beam width at aperture? So something like this laser pointer with it's supposed 0.5 mrad would be something like 51mm wide at 100 yards...
Capture5.JPG
Is this correct?

Would also be nice to use a pointer like this to sight in a scope at range too, so obviously the tighter the beam the better.

Shotguns are relatively short range weapons especially with smaller shot which spreads out pretty quickly, but even with 00 or 000 buckshot most people sight in @ 25 or 50 yards, slugs you can hit @ 100 yards but there will be drop to account for, so if you sight in @ 50 yards rather than 25 your 12ga slugs will still drop another 5 inches or so by 100 yards, more if you sight in @ 25 yards......what I'm saying is one of the direct red or green diode laser sights will work just fine, I wouldn't use any of the Chinese dpss lasers on a shotgun because of the recoil, I would go with a direct. Crimson Trace makes quality sights you can count on and it's worth it to buy good tools.

EDIT: Here you go, a picture show > ( Laser aided hip shooting @ 8:52 ) Now I have to buy one of these for my 590 :love: I'm going to get the green unit. Amazon and OpticsPlanet have the best deals so far.

Last edited:
Nothing against loreadarkshade, however if you plan to keep a weapon for self defense I would not put any laser over 5mw on it, it could become an issue, also the M9 x 0.5 threaded barrel lenses we use always have thread play which means you will want to lock down your infinity focus to prevent lens shift from recoil which is easily done with an M9 x 0.5 nut, I drill out and tap the silver thumb wheels that come with most modules to use as nuts.

SANY5897.JPG

loreadarkshade

No offense taken :) I have 5mw models as well haha, in fact I am building a 5mw green for a customer in this same host.
BUT, 5mW will be IMPOSSIBLE to see in broad daylight haha.. I can barely see my 100mW 488 models in direct sunlight on the ground.
I mean, if you're pointing a shotgun at someone, the laser dot harming their eyes is the least of their worries. Just my 0.02 :)

As for the focus, it's as simple as a drop of super glue and the lens will never move :) I've done it many times to lock focus down.
Good idea in your method of locking them down though! But loctite is much easier :)

I use the UV instant cure adhesive formulated for glass and metal, same as I use for setting up c-lenses and mirrors, it's thicker and doesn't seep into places where you don't want it or out-gas like super glues can.

https://www.rshughes.com/p/Loctite-...lic-Adhesive-50-Ml-Bottle-34931/079340_34931/

You may have to point your weapon at a threat ( for example a home invader ) but not have to fire and if you employ your aiming laser you could get a BS lawsuit for a bogus eye injury where you would look bad in court if said laser was way over the limit, I can just hear some lawyer saying ( HE HAD A 1000MW BLINDING LASER 200 TIMES THE LEGAL LIMIT ) also there can be reflective material on a shooting range and you don't want to distract other shooters at the range, so unless you're on a private range or alone I wouldn't use anything over 5mw on a firearm. (y)

loreadarkshade

I use the UV instant cure adhesive formulated for glass and metal, same as I use for setting up c-lenses and mirrors, it's thicker and doesn't seep into places where you don't want it or out-gas like super glues can.

https://www.rshughes.com/p/Loctite-...lic-Adhesive-50-Ml-Bottle-34931/079340_34931/

You may have to point your weapon at a threat ( for example a home invader ) but not have to fire and if you employ your aiming laser you could get a BS lawsuit for a bogus eye injury where you would look bad in court if said laser was way over the limit, I can just hear some lawyer saying ( HE HAD A 1000MW BLINDING LASER 200 TIMES THE LEGAL LIMIT ) also there can be reflective material on a shooting range and you don't want to distract other shooters at the range, so unless you're on a private range or alone I wouldn't use anything over 5mw on a firearm. (y)
These are points I had not considered! Very true. Especially these days with lawsuits, you never know!

Photophile

Does anyone have any experience with upgrading the driver, and/or diode in name brand weapon mounted lasers?

I have a few Streamlight, and Crimson Trace devices that need an upgrade for sure.

Im concerned with the difficulty accessing the hardware inside, and also messing up the ability to hold a zero afterwards. Just brainstorming currently, haven't broken anything open.... Yet!

If nobody has upgrade experience, does anyone know of any top tier name brand devices that would be readily upgradeable?

N.I.

Shotguns are relatively short range weapons especially with smaller shot which spreads out pretty quickly, but even with 00 or 000 buckshot most people sight in @ 25 or 50 yards, slugs you can hit @ 100 yards but there will be drop to account for, so if you sight in @ 50 yards rather than 25 your 12ga slugs will still drop another 5 inches or so by 100 yards, more if you sight in @ 25 yards......what I'm saying is one of the direct red or green diode laser sights will work just fine, I wouldn't use any of the Chinese dpss lasers on a shotgun because of the recoil, I would go with a direct. Crimson Trace makes quality sights you can count on and it's worth it to buy good tools.

Thanks, but I have several gun lasers and none of them can be seen past 15 to 20 yards.