Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

feeler: stainless buck rogers laser/ray gun

I was browsing ebay and came across something that looked like a buck rogers ray gun a while back. It's a gun that shoots a green laser at birds. Costs around $1800 dollars and supposedly has a very fat beam to it.

I'm not sure of how powerful the laser is but heres the link if you wanna see what a $1800 lasergun will buy you.

Avian Dissuader Green Laser - Humane Bird Contol - eBay (item 170356021648 end time Aug-08-09 15:30:26 PDT)

Edit: I typed in the name of the gun and found that the company has a website and makes laserguns for the military or something like that. I went to products description page and saw they have red lasers too. Just for curiousity if you wanna look, heres the link although I doubt anyone is gonna pay thousands of dollars for a toy to scare birds, lol.

http://aviandissuader.com/news1.htm

Last edited:

lmn

I was browsing ebay and came across something that looked like a buck rogers ray gun a while back. It's a gun that shoots a green laser at birds. Costs around $1800 dollars and supposedly has a very fat beam to it.

I'm not sure of how powerful the laser is but heres the link if you wanna see what a $1800 lasergun will buy you.

Avian Dissuader Green Laser - Humane Bird Contol - eBay (item 170356021648 end time Aug-08-09 15:30:26 PDT)

Edit: I typed in the name of the gun and found that the company has a website and makes laserguns for the military or something like that. I went to products description page and saw they have red lasers too. Just for curiousity if you wanna look, heres the link although I doubt anyone is gonna pay thousands of dollars for a toy to scare birds, lol.

Military

Whoa! 50 mm beam diameter at aperture but only 30 mW.
The application where I'd expect to see this would be at the airport except you can't use it on sunny days. So maybe at Seattle/Tacoma international.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. The reason that is so highly overpriced in comparison to the prices we pay on LPF is because it is used to scare away birds from areas where aircraft might suck them into the jet intakes. This means they have had expensive FAA testing that our lasers will never need. :D

Ok, so is this closer to the design that some were thinking about with thicker handle........
bgun8.JPG

Last edited:
^.......No that will not be used. It was something comical that I found on ebay. :D

Although it is premature to give a rock solid estimate on the price of the raygun, the estimated price shipped in the U.S. for the "thicker" design will be $195.00. The price will be $175.00 confirmed for the slimmer prototype style shipped in the U.S. Some assembly will be required as these are "O.E.M." kits, therefore as mentioned earlier you should have at least one "flashlight" build under your belt, although that will not be "required" to purchase of course. I'm not even close to shipping any yet however. Give me some time please. The price is very generous I think, and is offered to forum members in particular. If I sell them on E-bay they will cost more. Thanks

Requests for Rayguns may be made on this thread. I won't be accepting payment until the machinist starts building for the group buy.
So far I have:
Scopeguy20 - Raygun "thinner" x 1
Jayrob - Raygun "thicker" x 1

Last edited:
Hey millirad, I still like the thin style! I hope to get one before long, my family says make it a 405 nm too! :) -Glenn

Last edited:
OK thanks Glenn! PM sent. Looks like a raygun with GGW would be the best for you. It will look even more alien with that gastly violet beam. :D

Hey I may want a green one first! LOL it would be a hit at star parties! :evil: -Glenn

Ha Ha. The thing is only 30 mW...:crackup:

Hey millirad, I do think there will be other astronomers who will want to point out stars with an apparent alien raygun! It is going to need to be reproducible for sure! :lasergun:

Sounds great! I finished the screw-in styled barrel for your build(3 pieces). Now I'm working on the screw-in grip. I'll PM you with pics when it is finished, in a couple of days. It is mass producable without a CNC lathe, just using my bench lathe, with the trick that I found for building the screw-in style that disassembles for shipping. :D

Last edited:
I think the green one will get it's module in a couple of weeks, I will also want to get a violet one. One Idea I had was to mix phosphorescent dye into the Handel and or some other part(s) of the gun, and have a violet led to illuminate the glowing polymorphic plastic part(s).

Wow, that sounds awesome! You are close to something I had thought of. Use glass or clear hard plastic tubing with dye in some liquid and have UV leds illuminate the dye in the tubing. If it was plastic tubing that could be shaped easily to an alien raygun design. :D Edit: just as "accent" pieces on a stainless body.

Last edited:
Glenn, I have put 5 fins with one large in the middle of the set on your raygun. This gives it more of a retro raygun look. Pics as soon as I finish the grip.

Glenn, I'm still working on the grip. The new screw-in grip is a tricky design. It holds the batteries and they screw-in with the grip with tip transferring energy to the driver as well as the body acting as ground like a "flashlight" host.