Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Feeler - pbs red

Just curious if anyone would be curious to see  a red laser which uses two diodes and a pbs to combine the beams if I make a personal project. Obviously a class 3b laser, I'd have to classify it as a module or bench top and probably put an interlock on it along with all the other warning stickers. Power could be up to 500mW.

Re: Feeler - 500mW handheld red...

Do you have / are you actively working on a prototype? This would be a can of whoop ass packed into a laser should you complete it. And the fact that you're planning on selling them too...you amaze me! :cool:

Its huge work to make one and expensive.  Its not the kind of thing I will be building but parts is about $350 I think from a quick add up. May be able to reduce that...

$350 sounds fairly reasonable considering how much more involved the assembly process for a project like this would be, not to mention doubled material costs, etc.

At the very least, this would be a nice brag project like Rog's 7 color portable. :p

Already using my chemical ice pack idea, I see. ;)

Yes, I'd be very interested. Put me at the top of the waiting list if you decide to make more than one prototype. The burner you already make is extremely powerful, I can't imagine what 500mW would do.

That's fucking beastly, can't wait to see what you can come up with. :p

Personally, I'm not going to invest in one, because I'm saving money for a possible 8X Blu-Ray build. But damn, sure is tempting. XD

Any pictures showing it in action? The burning range must be incredible. :eek:

Can't you put the LDs in series and use only one FlexDrive? Or would that exceed the FlexDrivers output voltage?

Which reminds me: I have so far been unable to find datasheets for common diodes (LPC-815, PHR-803T and the IR/Red combo LD on the sled, 4x, 6x, ...) which shows package dimensions, typical parameters like V[sub]f[/sub] and operating current, beam emission angles, pinouts and so on (just occasionally some isolated info like pinouts). Does someone have pointers?

EDIT: while there's a fair bit of info about red and BR diodes, there's next to nothing on greens. Are they only sold as complete modules? (I do know that they are far more complex than red or BR LDs.)

dr-ebert said:
Can't you put the LDs in series and use only one FlexDrive? Or would that exceed the FlexDrivers output voltage?

Which reminds me: I have so far been unable to find datasheets for common diodes (LPC-815, PHR-803T and the IR/Red combo LD on the sled, 4x, 6x, ...) which shows package dimensions, typical parameters like V[sub]f[/sub] and operating current, beam emission angles, pinouts and so on (just occasionally some isolated info like pinouts). Does someone have pointers?

EDIT: while there's a fair bit of info about red and BR diodes, there's next to nothing on greens. Are they only sold as complete modules? (I do know that they are far more complex than red or BR LDs.)

Huummm, not sure about that. Perhaps the flexdrive could do it.....but there may be a problem with unequal voltage from across each diode. I may have to check with Dr Lava.

Pinouts are everywhere for the LPC and 803 diodes, data sheets I've not seen so much of - probably because those figures are not particular critical to building a laser pointer. The green modules usually come complete and are a mass of IR diodes, laser cavities and nonlinear crystals. Basically it goes like 808nm pump diode into Nd:YAG/YLF laser-> 1064nm radiation - into nonlinear phase matched birefringent crystal like KTP -> 1064/2 nm = 532 nm (that familar green).

The voltage drop varies a bit for each diode but shouldn't pose a problem unless the sum is above 5.5V which is stated as the FlexDrives maximum (it would be interesting to know what the limiting factor is?). That's one reason why I wanted the datasheets as they normally should list the "typical" and maybe "max" values for V[sub]f[/sub]. I think I read that it's about 2.7V for reds, so it should be just possible; at least maybe with selecting low V[sub]f[/sub] diodes from a batch. That would save a bit of money for the driver and some time for setting the current and connecting the driver which seems to be a somewhat twiddly task. Those thingies are SMALL...