Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

*FEELER* Optical Breadboards

My neighbor is a machinist and is about to make me a 12"x12"x1" optical breadboard.
wanted to know if theres any interest for this here because he has access to a cnc mill.
-Nick

Sounds like a good idea.

What other options would be available, black anodized?

I would have some interest in 10" x 14" x 3/8" 1/4-20 every square inch, and black anodized.

Cheers
Dave

noesc

I would be interested in a 12x12x.5 inch one with 1/4-20 on center every inch

Benm

Interested yes.. but practical to buy online?

I think they might be very expensive to ship due to the weight, even if you make them 0.5" thick or less.

ReNNo

nkgamer1990, can you tell us price for 12"x12"x1" and what should be shipping costs if you send it internationally?

Please provide some price estimates. Some thinner ones would be cool too, if you can keep them rigid.

any size is possible however i dont have access to an anodizing shop. we'd have to enlist the help of someone else for that task.
im currently drawing up blueprints for mine if anyone else would like this please draw up your own and send them to me in the form of a private message.
ill get some estimates as soon as the machinist sees them.
however i would like to know the going rate for these so i know where i stand when negotiating prices with the machinst

Ash

any size is possible however i dont have access to an anodizing shop. we'd have to enlist the help of someone else for that task.
im currently drawing up blueprints for mine if anyone else would like this please draw up your own and send them to me in the form of a private message.
ill get some estimates as soon as the machinist sees them.
however i would like to know the going rate for these so i know where i stand when negotiating prices with the machinst
Ooh...
I don't think your machinist should charge anything close to professional prices:
-Aluminum Breadboard, 12" x 12" x 1/2", 1/4"-20 Threaded $161.10
Source: Thorlabs.com - UltraLight Series, Aluminum, 25 mm (1") Thick, High Stiffness Breadboards
-SA2 Series Solid Aluminum Plate, 12 in. x 12 in., 1/4-20 holes on 1 in. grid - Price: $153.00
Source: Solid Aluminum Plates

So. For a 1' x 1' x 1" (or 1/2") professionally manufactured one the cost is going to be about $150.
Personally, I would love to have one, but I wouldn't spend more than $50.

So far its looking to be about $.50 per sq. inch. with a thickness of 1/2". and a drilled and tapped hole every 1".
apparently the thickness will have little effect on the overall cost. Just pay for the cost of the raw material plus wear on the tools which couldnt be much.
Is there anything im forgetting?
I havent confirmed the type of aluminum he has access to but im guessing we'd want 6061 aircraft grade?
-Nick

Well, for a 1' x 1' sounds like it'll cost just under $100 with paypal fees and shipping and trouble on your part. Good luck on yours though, and keep in touch in case prices go down.