Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Feeler: buck laser driver.

Johnyz

Buck drivers, like linear, need more voltage than diode requires. However, there is one HUGE advantage. While linear drivers convert unused voltage into heat, buck drivers can actually convert it into more current. Example: 0.4A 8.4V (two fully charged 10440's) in, 0.6A 4.5V out (including efficiency loses). 12x from dual 10440's - not bad! I was looking at buck IC's and some seemed pretty cheap and usable. Would anyone be interested in getting such drivers, if they costed around $12?

Last edited:

rhd

I'm always excited by new driver options. Count me a thumbs-up.

Johnyz

Thanks! You know, the advantage I'm looking at is that you can get parallel results with batteries in series without any complicated host mods.

Also, what's up with your avatar? Have you lost any turtles?

anselm

People need buck drivers to fully power a red (or IR) diode from a single LiIon.
Myself personally, I wouldn't want to pay 12$ for one though.:undecided:

What people REALLY are craving are boost drivers, cheaper and readily available alternatives
to Dr.Lavas circuits.:whistle:

But you knew that already.:D

Last edited:

Johnyz

I know. The prices will ofc get much lower if I managed to make, let's say 100 at time. You know, they have a HUGE advantage over LM317 (and others) so I throught asking here would be a good idea.

rhd

In my mind, there are a few non-boost scenarios that are still tough to address with linear drivers:

- Reds off a single lithium ion.
- High current 405s off 2x lithium ions. (because the Vf is just at the point where Vf + LDO linear dropout is right near the max V of 2x fully charged cells)

Everything else is doable with a linear LDO regulator. Of course a buck driver will still be superior even in those situations, on account of better efficiency, and the potential to continue driving at desired currents for longer, as batteries fade.

Having said that, as a very general comment, I think almost any non-linear driver design would be well welcomed by the board at this point. We've got a number of good linear options now, but almost no boost or buck (or both) designs. At this stage, the sooner you could come up with a working stable driver, the better :)

YES YES YES. I for one need buck drivers right now. Adjustable would be best. 1 problem i run into all the time: Red diodes with 1 cell. since the new LPC-826's are available I have been trying to get single cell hosts to work but no driver options...PLEASE do this, I will buy your BETA prototypes to test!!!

What would the max input be?
I'd like a couple if the Vin could be as high as 14-15V (lead acid)
If it is at least 500mA (.5-1A) out and can handle constant duty @ that kind of voltage I would be in for a couple.