Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Fast Shipping Laser Diode Distributors

Hello all,
I am in the process of building my first burning laser around an LPC836 350mW 500mW laser diode. (Exciting right) within the first day of having the 2 diodes that I had waited 1 month for, they were both fried :))))) I have ordered a replacement but it is not set to come in until mid August. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for fast ship to door laser diode distributors on the cheaper end. They do not have to carry the LPC836 specifically but they should havediodes around the same amount of output power. Thanks Guys!

-Adam

DTR is a great supplier, but you won't find a single mode diode like the LPC-836 or 840. Many of his higher power diodes are multi mode and require much more current and some have terrible divergence which look more like a line than a dot. The exception are the S06J or the BDR-209 405nm diodes. But, they are very close to UV and aren't as visible as the reds are. They also have a much higher Vf which will make your driver impractical. Keep this in mind when you go hunting for another diode just to get it a week sooner.

Where are you located? Did you ever past in the welcome section... Maybe I missed it.

If you have any old DVD burners, or can find some at a thrift shop, you might get lucky and could extract a red diode from the sled. Do some searching on laser diode extraction if you do not have any knowledge around this.
It takes a bit of luck and patience, but might be fun to pass the time waiting for your new diode and/or you could get lucky and find a nice one!

Last edited:
I looked at those before my last post and the most you can possible got out is 200 mW. And that's not guaranteed. That was why I thought he might not be interested, But if up to 200 mW is good enough and there is a shipping charge of $2.50 for anything under $50.00, so $22.50 is not too much money, then yeah, this could be an option.

Last edited:
You have some great points. I am looking for a wavelength well within the visible spectrum (IR light freaks me out especially high powered IR haha) So I guess that would be the only other specification. Anything higher than 350 mW would be practical for the LM317 driver I am using. I may order a couple LPC840s and while waiting look around for something similar.

Hello all,
I am in the process of building my first burning laser around an LPC836 350mW 500mW laser diode. (Exciting right) within the first day of having the 2 diodes that I had waited 1 month for, they were both fried..
________
w/o making some changes you will be 'frying' more.

:))))) I have ordered a replacement but it is not set to come in until mid August. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for fast ship to door laser diode distributors on the cheaper end. They do not have to carry the LPC836 specifically but they should havediodes around the same amount of output power. Thanks Guys!

-Adam

let DTR save you time and money-- buy a module (diode mounted in copper HS & driver soldered and set to your choice of mA-- he will advise you if you are pushing too hard.)

place a WTB in our BS&T forum-- someone not all that far from NY may have one to spare--
btw--please finish your profile.
NY needs to appear under your avatar. :beer:

Last edited:
Anything you get to use as a linear driver will have the same heat problems you are having with the LM317. I used a continuous ground adjustable buck driver for my last LPC-840 build. They were quite common a few years ago from lazeerer, but I haven't seen them available in quite some time now. Glad I still have two in my stock. The LPCs all are case negative making that buck driver perfect for this diode.