Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Face Book email prank/scam--- READ this - at least do not open any links that appear to be from me'-

I got it in March and never opened the FB messg from LPF buddy til today- he got tricked and so 'they' used his FB name to email me and I fell for the ruse-- it had ' ' think' I saw you in a video-- impressive-- confirm?'
it does not open afaik I tried twice-- got with the sender and he did not know I got the email.. he tried to stop it but guess he couldn't-- its malware...if YOU are one of my FB contacts-- watch for the FB message and PM me here about that-- $ do not click-i am closing my FB accts..fubared
-hak

Sorry to hear that , Len. I never got a facebook account, so nothing for me to worry about. Have never ever seen a site there.

thanks Paul-
My brother (w/ 2700 FBook friends and contacts) sez this is more 'prank' than terrible malware etc.
he sez its kinda like a modern day 'Chain Letter' (remember those??lol)
he has not closed his FB accts. Had this came at gmail I would not clicked until Kev said the messg was from him.. He tried to stop/end it but I got the FB messg
anyway- not his fault--so I should have tried to contact the sender via gmail

last night I tried to warn my 200+ contacts to not click any links--I gave up at 5 AM --FBook makes doing a mass messag. near impossible to do-- I read in a google search that FB only allows max of 10 contacts per messg.- at FB I was told the max was 20.
Zuckerberg needs to spend some of his billions to find way to stop this- (he just donated $100 Million to IIRC a state hard hit by Cro-vid )

==I read that there are many similar scams (google)-- Mine had a link w/ fake sender saying 'I think I saw you in a vid?/ check it out and confirm'
the link was odd-- cccoO.9.vu and 'ghosted'so hard to read. I have just heard back from LPF member who already got the FB messg from "me' after giving up w/ the link== he said he tried 5 or more times-- so AFAIK his contacts will get spoof FBook messg. AND so on-so on etc.
hak

:ROFLMAO: Yeah, I remember chain letters. I actually got one in the 1960s. For those who don't know, chain letters were sent to people usually by someone they knew. They were told in the letter to send it back out to ten more people, implying that to not do so would be met with horrid consequences like having bad luck. It is difficult for me to believe there are people THAT ignorant out there. I never use a link in my email to do anything after someone went phishing for my credit card account numbers, DOB, SS # and more. That was the last time I clicked on a link in my emails. If it is something from my bank or any of my credit cards I just go to the site and proceed from there.

Snecho

I remember chain emails too believe it or not.

Chain letters were popular in the first half of the last century. Never got one in my email accounts. The one I got in the 1960s was not even from someone I knew well. I had been aware of them for sometime before receiving it, though. I was draft age during the Vietnam war and stayed out by my college deferment. By the time I graduated it was a moot point. The 1960s were a strange time for me. Glad they are in the past.

update

I hope that by trying to open that link (at FBook messages)
I have not been infected with malware or worse.

Others getting stuff like that tell me it is more like a prank.
My brother has 2,700 contacts at FB- he did not try to open the link that was FWD to him (from my list of contacts) BUT he has seen this before. I do not think, now, that I will dele my FB accts.
I ONLY clicked it coz it looked like it came from a good friend who is also a member at LPF. He got 'tricked' just like me.

Had it come in a gmail etc I would have NOT clicked until I checked with my friend to confirm this was legit.
I got careless and I am truly sorry if it came to you and you tried to open the fake link. If you have any info on this please PM me.

hak

If this link came to you and you clicked-- all you can do is PM all your contacts and warn them to NOT click.
I cannot believe I fell for this... I had been PMing with my LPF friend and as it was FB message and NOT an email and only clicked one time, then asked him and he confirmed that he too got tricked--I COULD use my age (72) as an excuse but I won't.....lesson learned!!

Again-- very sorry if this was sent to you as well.