Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Eye hit with 100mW, 532nm, class III green laser.

<100mW, 532nm. Class III green laser pointer [as labeled].
Someone aimed it at a piece of rough plastic that i was holding and the beam was reflected to my eyes for 1 sec. Will this cause injury?
His distance was 1 meter away. Piece of plastic was 40 cm away from my eyes.
4 days ago.

My current symptoms:
Simple floaters/afterimages specially in dark areas.
Hazy eyes with strong/bright colors.

I went to Ophthalmologist 1 day after exposure.
He said my retina and fovea are ok.
visual acuity is normal.

Will these symptoms fade away?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Well, you've already done the best thing that you could do, and that's see an opthalmologist right away.
Did you happen to ask him if your other symptoms would go away in time?

I assume, and it's only an assumption, that since he's basically said that there was no damage due to the laser, your other symptoms will go away if they were related to the laser hit.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
We at LPF are not eye doctors. We can't give you a prognosis here. You went to see an Ophthalmologist to check your eye out. What was his prognosis? Surely you must of asked what long term effects it may of caused. I know it would of been playing on my mind to find out. Well, I hope you do recover fully from this and that you will be a lot more careful in the future.

Edit: Was writing at the same time BowtieGuy. :p

Last edited:
<100mW, 532nm. Class III green laser pointer [as labeled].
Someone aimed it at a piece of rough plastic that i was holding and the beam was reflected to my eyes for 1 sec. Will this cause injury?
His distance was 1 meter away. Piece of plastic was 40 cm away from my eyes.
4 days ago.

My current symptoms:
Simple floaters/afterimages specially in dark areas.
Hazy eyes with strong/bright colors.

I went to Ophthalmologist 1 day after exposure.
He said my retina and fovea are ok.
visual acuity is normal.

Will these symptoms fade away?

The doc said you're ok.
Everyone has floaters, everyone.
After images, bright colors hallucinogenic drugs maybe?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
As Curtis mentioned, we are not eye Doctors, if you are still concerned, schedule a return visit to your opthalmologist.

Last edited:
You'll be fine. In fact you'll probably do it again in the near future. You will be fine then as well. Trust me I'm an internet opthamologist. Also as your internet opthamologist I would suggest you lose the laser.

Sometimes Retinal damage does not appear within next week from exposure.
That's my concern.

Since you're concerned get a second opinion and stop asking us nitwits cause we dont know. I still think it's drug though. By the way, when you next see that person smack them and take their laser away for being an idiot or at least give them a good tongue lashing.

Every few weeks we get a thread like this one. If the laser was in fact a 100 mW measured power, the plastic probably only reflected a small amount of this to your eye. The symptoms you are having are most likely anxiety related and have nothing to do with the reflected light. if you are going to "play" around with lasers, use googles as this is bound to happen again.

Reactions: GSS
Try accidentally getting a telescope on the sun, now that's burn power, I did it when I was 12 years old, I cannot see nearly as well out of my right eye at night now, been that way since. Fortunately, in the day time I can't tell any difference.

Reactions: GSS

Benm

Uh yeah, if you point a telescope at the sun and look through it you are lucky to have a rentina left in that eye. You are also lucky that telescope apparently survived and not having to foot the bill for that ;)

But all kidding apart, if you have doubts after a laser incident even if initially everything checked out well, go for another consulation. Things like a retinal burn or detachment would probably have been obvious on the first visit, but double checking doesnt hurt apart from finanacially.

Chances are though that you are just paying more attention to any visual artefacts like floaters. The've probably been there for a long time, but you get used to them and don't thinkg anything of them until you have some incident with your eyes.

Vision is a combination of the eye and the brain, with the latter playing a pretty big role in how you see the world. Upside is that the brain adjusts to whatever information comes from the eyes over time, as far as reasonably possible.

Best example is the 'bind spot', where the optical nerve exits the retina. Everyone has this, it is a small piece of your visual field where you are naturally blind. You can test this by looking at certain diagrams and such, but will normally never notice. With normal vision it is such that the blind spots do not overlap so you can see anything with at least one eye, but some things not with both - and you never even noticed from the day you were born.

Got my solar eclipse glasses in the mail today. Not particularly impressive, but I'm sure they will do the job. The eclipse here is supposed to be 90% or better. I think the fact that you were so young when you did the solar observation with a telescope is a big reason that your vision improved, Chris. Had you been an adult, the regenerative process would have been over and your vision would not be as good as it is now. Still, that must have hurt for the short period of time that you actually looked at it.

I have a cheap pair that do work, I looked at the daytime sun and it is very very round, that's about all I could tell, it's very round.

57164d1502851935-eye-hit-100mw-532nm-class-iii-green-laser-sany1422.jpg

Attachments

• SANY1422.JPG
    SANY1422.JPG
    166.9 KB · Views: 394
Last edited: