Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Extracting Diodes from block

I have 3 brand new NUBM-71 diode blocks!!!

Attachments

• IMG_6994.JPEG
    IMG_6994.JPEG
    662.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5141.jpg
    IMG_5141.jpg
    575.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

This is not my video, but this is exactly how I do it.

Make certain your laser diodes can fall free from the block when you push them out..... because if you set the block on a flat surface, the indium on the edge of the diodes backing plates will re-solidify in the bottom of the sleeve..... not good.

I don't bother with the ir thermometer although I do own one, I just heat the back of the block with my heat gun and just keep checking with your pick and when the indium melts the diodes will push right out and fall free into your aluminum foil catcher..... you can favor one end of the block then the other to make it easier, just keep checking with your pick.

Last edited:

Dusty_Lenses

I have 3 brand new NUBM-71 diode blocks i can not extract any i try 400C and nothing the not coming out any suggestions!!
I used my smd hot air gun and sat the array on wood blocks rather than clamping it in a vice or anything thermally conductive.

Even tested the raw output of each diode before and then after extraction to see if I had damaged any.

Really had my nerves shot for the first one, but all was good.

Put your heat gun close to the diode block, don't hold it way back ..... The block will absorb heat and melt the indium.

I have also used a blow torch, but put the flame on the sides of the block and keep it moving back and forth and constantly push with your pick so the moment the indium melts you can push the diodes out.

Dusty_Lenses

I used a blow torch for 5sec and all fell out i was waiting to push it out 😂 i will see to sell some since the are new 0hrs $40 NUBM47-A4
I wonder what is better for the diodes, the longer process and prolonged exposure of a heat gun or the rapid heating and shorter duration of a torch 🤔

Dusty_Lenses

I used a hand torch and all pop out in 5sec i touched one diode and it was not even hot pretty 😎
Sounds like the torch may be a safer method.

Been a while since I extracted one of these blocks, but I remember it taking 5mins or more and everything including the diodes were hot 🥵

I saw no degradation running my heat gun at its max of 500c, and will definitely be trying a small torch next time around.

Did you happen to do any before and after power tests?

Dusty_Lenses

I have a reflow station as well. You might want to get one of these.
I think an argument could be made in favor of using a a torch in this situation.

It looks like the diodes are exposed to less heat for a far shorter duration of time.

When we solder diode pins the goal has always been to keep the heating time as short as possible.

From what alien posted above, his diodes fell out and weren't hot. This happened in seconds vs several minutes.

High heat to the mount for a super short duration may be the way to go for a safer extraction. Granted the mount is heated and not hitting the back of the diodes.

Seems counter intuitive at first, but the more I think of it, I'm liking this idea.

The reflow station is good for other purposes than just to remove diodes. Mine has a temperature controlled iron which is great for what it was intended to do.

Dusty_Lenses

The reflow station is good for other purposes than just to remove diodes. Mine has a temperature controlled iron which is great for what it was intended to do.
Agreed. I have an 852D workstation and it's a great tool for pretty much 99.9% of the work I do.

Bought it to reflow PS3 graphics chips, and then used it on these diode blocks to extract.

My point was that it may be more stress to the diodes using this tool given the mass and surface area of the mount used.

Other than that, it's my go to tool for depopulating pcbs, and soldering smd components.

Definitely a must have🍺