Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Extracting Diodes from block

Dusty_Lenses

How long will it take to extract diodes using a reflow station hot air gun ?
Mine has a max temp of 500c and takes approx 4-7mins of heating evenly with the largest tip and airflow set to its highest.

By the time the diodes break loose, both the block and the diodes are at the melting temp of the indium.

This is why I like the idea of rapidly heating the block, it's much faster and from what I gather, the diodes internal components aren't seeing the full temperature.

The block and the contact points are seeing that heat briefly, which theoretically would be less stress.

The only issue I see is if not careful, one could far exceed a safe temp.

As long as the block is upside down and level they will just fall out anyway. Just have to be careful not to hit the back or face of the diodes with the open flame.

I heat the block on the side not the top and the start to fall out was amazing i like it was very easy when it fell out i grabbed one to move it was not hot just a tiny bit warm kinda nice i think this is the best way to extract this diodes!! :alien:

Darktron

Careful with excessive heat you will either melt bondwires or the LD crystal will become detach from base both leading to low power or dead diode. I'll fetch the pictures of the heat curve used to solder/desolder them. Heatplate is your friend. And also careful when you eject them a hard drop will also move LD cystal out of place while hot.

Here is the soldering temperature all take a total of 4-5 minutes
And no more than 1 minute at high heat.
1000036857.png

Last edited:

Dusty_Lenses

Careful with excessive heat you will either melt bondwires or the LD crystal will become detach from base both leading to low power or dead diode. I'll fetch the pictures of the heat curve used to solder/desolder them. Heatplate is your friend. And also careful when you eject them a hard drop will also move LD cystal out of place while hot.

Here is the soldering temperature all take a total of 4-5 minutes
And no more than 1 minute at high heat.
View attachment 78084
If I remember correctly, with the blue diodes the chip is not bonded with indium as seen in NIR 808's for example.

I read a discussion here on the forum some time ago where it was mentioned that the chip is fused with silver using a high energy pulse from a laser to mount them.

To my understanding the chip would burn up long before you could break it lose with heat.

A simple experiment could be performed on a dead LD to confirm.