Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Exploding Beer Bottle!

Got picked up by a policeman when 12 years old when a buddy and I were shooting them at each other in a school yard, it was the weekend, no one around! Someone called them on us :( took all my bottle rockets away and drove us home where we got in a lot of trouble. He was doing as a favor, could have taken us to the police headquarters and charged us with something.

i have seen people face after coming in contact with acid before.... it was a horrible sight to look at.... like Freddy Kruger face cross with the map of Utar

It's amazing some of us live as long as we do.

A short time ago I found the top of the bottle with the cap still screwed on and a very sharp point on one side, it landed on a shelf well above the table, I didn't realize any glass had made it up there.

One of those people on YouTube that blow things up or microwave stuff should make a video and blow up some bottles of this stuff or several kinds of beer, maybe heat them over a fire or something. I wouldn't try it myself though.

Alan

A friends cousin threw a beer bottle into a bonfire. The bottle shattered and a long shard pierced his chest and collapsed one of his lungs. Thank goodness someone at the party knew to seal it with a piece of plastic.

Benm

You have to be careful with strong concentrated acids and alkali. Something like a car battery exploding close to your face could easily disfigure you for life, the acid in there is pretty concentrated and is especially dangerous for your eyes. Skin is actually somewhat resistant to it, as long as you wash it off REALLY quickly (i.e. jump into a pond or hose it off right then and there).

One trend here a few years ago was making bottles explode using a mixture of dissolved lye (NaOH) with bits of aluminium powder. This reaction is quite exothermic and generates a lot of hydrogen gas, creating enough pressure to make a capped soda bottle explode quite violently.

This is not very dangerous if done in a remote location and such, but kids were doing it on the street here, and in some cases people passing by got injured by the hot concentrated solution of lye flying around. Afaik they even stopped selling drain cleaner to minors for some time to prevent this.

GSS

I've also had a car battery explode on me when giving a jump but luckely had my face looking the other way but I did get sprayed a little on my ear. I didn't hear an arc or sizzle just a bang but it was loud enough for me to lose a little hearing on one side for a few hours. Work any job long enough and you will get hurt wether a tiny bit or alot, could be complaisance or just the odds. I also heard of career say mechanics who get under a car with just a floor jack because it would only take a second on what they were to do and all it took was that second to end their lives. Of course i'm not the only one who knew someone. Look at the OSHA bulletin board in any machine shop where they show the dangers of long hair near a lathe or any type machine, yet people still wear it long. I,m guilty of slacking before and cringe of what I did as a kid but life is hard enough so I guess what i,m getting at is lets just really try to learn from mistakes. As we all know here that any laser related accidents no matter if it was product failure will be reported in an ER room.

Last edited:
Well I decided to take a look on YouTube and yes I found some exploding beer bottles.

This one better shows the danger, I wouldn't want to clean up that kitchen:

Don't try this at home! And if you do then be sure to wear safety glasses and are at a safe distance. I honestly could have been blinded or killed had it not been for my iPad and LPF as I explained earlier.

Alan

Pi, your having nightmares aren't you:(

I have barely slept since it happened. :tired: The fact that a common item in your home can suddenly explode and possibly kill you or leave you disabled is as scary as nuclear war.

Alan

GSS

I have barely slept since it happened. :tired: The fact that a common item in your home can suddenly explode and possibly kill you or leave you disabled is as scary as nuclear war.

Alan
Ok, easier said then done but you just have to put it in the I learned something frame of mind. Does make you wonder why you picked up that ipad that split second. Like everyone here I have some very strange story's on "not being somewhere at the wrong time" and cringe when I think back. "Something" gave you a break and a warning, think about this thread and the warnings that you gave others and that might give you a good feeling and help you sleep. In time it will pass:)

Last edited: