Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Experimental Blu-Ray Host Question

Hello All,

I was planning on making my first Blu-Ray sometime this year and wanted to get an early start on my planning. I've been searching for a small, pocket sized host that looked nice. I highly considered using the MXDL host that everyone uses for red DIY projects but I'd like to use something a little smaller. I found a host that I like but I'm not for sure if everything would fit inside, it is another type of MXDL from DX.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2124
Please let me know if you think that making this a Blu-Ray host is or is not possible.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you  :)

Rhith

Looks like it might work but the main issure would be getting enough voltage to the circuit. I believe with rckstr's drivers you need about 5-6V and even a fully charged CR123 like in those will only give you ~3.99V. If it has a boost circuit in it though (like the Dorcy Jr.) it may boost the voltage enough for proper use but it would limit the run time. ;)

daguin

50Freestyle said:
Hello All,

I was planning on making my first Blu-Ray sometime this year and wanted to get an early start on my planning. I've been searching for a small, pocket sized host that looked nice. I highly considered using the MXDL host that everyone uses for red DIY projects but I'd like to use something a little smaller. I found a host that I like but I'm not for sure if everything would fit inside, it is another type of MXDL from DX.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2124
Please let me know if you think that making this a Blu-Ray host is or is not possible.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

It is certainly "possible". However without seeing the inside of the unit it is pretty hard to tell. How much are you willing to modify your host? What driver are you going to use? How good are your fabrication skills? Are you willing to have the module extend out the front of the host? Are you using an aiXiz or a Merideth module?

Peace,
dave

It is certainly "possible".  However without seeing the inside of the unit it is pretty hard to tell.  How much are you willing to modify your host?  What driver are you going to use?  How good are your fabrication skills?  Are you willing to have the module extend out the front of the host?  Are you using an aiXiz or a Merideth module?

Peace,
dave

I am willing to modify it as much as needed as long as it is worth the time and doesn't end up costing a ton more. I was planning on using a LavaDrive2 seeing that it can operate off of lower voltages. My fabrication skills are pretty basic (As long as it isn't too complicated, I can do it). I am willing to have have the module extend from the front of the host as long as it isn't so far out that it could make it easier to break. I plan on using an Axiz module and I've seen threads where people are able to cut the Axiz module down to size so it doesn't stick way wout of the host. I know that pretty much anything is "possible", but it has to be worth the time. I don't want the time, money, and effort to outweigh the outcome. If all of the modifications are not worth the time then I can just be happy with the basic MXDL host.

daguin

50Freestyle said:
I am willing to modify it as much as needed as long as it is worth the time and doesn't end up costing a ton more. . . . If all of the modifications are not worth the time then I can just be happy with the basic MXDL host.

Unfortunately only you can make that determination.

This one took me literally "weeks" of thinking and tinkering:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1211752819

Was it worth it, I think so. Would you?

Peace,
dave

I've seen that thread, very nice Blu-Ray. Funny thing is that was one of the threads that inspired me to make a small Blu-Ray. I think I should stick with a bigger host. If that took you weeks than mine would take me months, maybe years and seeing that mine would even be smaller than that I may never finish mine. Your construction and electronic skills are probably far beyond mine and that took you weeks! I would definently say that that was worth it but I may want to hold off on it until I get better with some of my skills. The basic MXDL host is still pretty small so I can be happy with it for my first DIY Blu-Ray build.

Thanks alot for your help :)

daguin

50Freestyle said:
I've seen that thread, very nice Blu-Ray. Funny thing is that was one of the threads that inspired me to make a small Blu-Ray. I think I should stick with a bigger host. If that took you weeks than mine would take me months, maybe years and seeing that mine would even be smaller than that I may never finish mine. Your construction and electronic skills are probably far beyond mine and that took you weeks! I would definently say that that was worth it but I may want to hold off on it until I get better with some of my skills. The basic MXDL host is still pretty small so I can be happy with it for my first DIY Blu-Ray build.

Thanks alot for your help :)

That's probably a good decision. You really NEED to get your own blu-ray play toy as soon as possible ;) I use my blu-rays much more than my other colors. Also, the more room in the host, the more room for "error" in the build.

I am about to disassemble my first red "burner" build.
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1213925024

Since no one is in the market for an inexpensive 240mW red burner, I'm going to tear it apart to "fix" the amount that the module sticks out. That was a small mistake I made because I was "new" at it. It doesn't effect the operation of the laser, but it has always "bothered" me. I may drill out the heat sink and replace the aiXiz with a Merideth while I've got it open. Heck, maybe I'll crank up the flexdrive while I'm at it [smiley=evil.gif]

You will love your blu-ray laser and WILL build another ;) Get one done to play with NOW :cool:

Peace,
dave

i have the blue version of the torch, and it really is simple to take it apart and modify it. I can take some pictures in a few days if you need them