Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Expanding Lens Off Centre

True, but what take the chance? I still get the impression he has no back-up lens, so it's not a good suggestion

Last edited:

honeyx

Yea I get that, I was just saying a little dab for this purpose would be fine...not exactly super expensive optics on 5$ a 532 module :p

Agree on that. A little dab will not hurt to hold the lens in place once it got alligned. If you keep the module and the lens warmed up, you also will not get the lens coated with cyanoacrylate because this is like water vapor and cold mirrors.

I successfully glued sensitive optics like lenses and fs mirrors with superglue with this trick without getting this white cyanoacrylate coating on them by simply warming up the parts and keeping them warmed up till the glue dried up to some level.

Thanks for the tips guys. So what do you suggest as a good way off securing the lens?
There's a glue called Beacon 527. It is a single component solvent based glue. It remains somewhat flexible and it can be removed if desired later. It holds securely. The best thing is it won't damage the lens even if it is AR coated. You may be able to find it in Oz.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
The biggest issue I've seen with CA glues is the vapor from the glue likes to drift around and condense in unwanted places (i.e. fogging your optics) Another issue, for an EDC laser, is that CA is brittle when it sets. DPSS lasers are fragile enough without using an adhesive that will let go if the laser is dropped accidentally. Much better to use epoxy or a solvent based glue that has some resiliency when set. I recommend this stuff: https://www.norlandprod.com/adhesives/NOA 72.html A 445 laser works great as a curing light for this photosetting glue. The manufacturer has a whole line of one-part photocuring adhesives made just for optics.

walcen

There's a glue called Beacon 527. It is a single component solvent based glue. It remains somewhat flexible and it can be removed if desired later. It holds securely. The best thing is it won't damage the lens even if it is AR coated. You may be able to find it in Oz.

Yes it looks like that's the sort of glue that is on the modules that I've purchased.

I did in fact remove the lens to centre it and found that it wouldn't work and it's a bit of a nightmare to get it back in the same place,, bottom line is, if it aint broke don't fix it :eek:LOL.

Thanks for the reply guys.

Walt

Yes it looks like that's the sort of glue that is on the modules that I've purchased.

I did in fact remove the lens to centre it and found that it wouldn't work and it's a bit of a nightmare to get it back in the same place,, bottom line is, if it aint broke don't fix it :eek:LOL.

Walt

told ya :p

I'm teasing. though if you like, since the optics arent damaged you could even use it as a learning tool to play with a DPSS setup you wanted. just get some IR protection.

no worries. if you have any questions on how to do it let me know. I'll be happy to help you set up your first alignment. (or anyone else for that matter)

Last edited:

walcen

no worries. if you have any questions on how to do it let me know. I'll be happy to help you set up your first alignment. (or anyone else for that matter)

So there's an actual method? And I thought it was all trial and error. :thinking:

Yes any advice you can throw at me will be greatly appreciated thank you.

I've done a bit of a web search on alignment but haven't turned up any thing that I can understand.

Walt

What the glue would not work?

walcen

What the glue would not work?

No no, the glue was okay, centering the lens didn't work, I should've left it where it was.

On another note, I've been checking out axis type housing and see that there are different lengths between 30 to 45 mm. Is there a standard size used by builders? And are these

1pcs 12mm X 45mm House Housing Case Cover With Lens FOR TO 18 5 6mm Laser Diode | eBay

a fair alternative to the gen axis or are they too chingzy?

I've decided to have a crack at an ultrafire wf-502B torch hack seeing as the hosts are only around $6 each here
$5.96 UltraFire WF-502B LED Flashlight Host - 1*18650 / host only - LED and driver sold separately at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
and I have the facility to machine up my own heat sinks inserts.

Walt