Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Exchange student - USA

So hello all, i might me be new to most of you, as i haven't put in many posts or threads, but i've been reading a whole lot on this site... :)

But, i'm going as an exchange student to the United States Of America on Thursday, where i will live in a small city in Nebraska. I would love to bring my 200mW red and my 200mW green laser with me, as i really do love theese devices! Is it possible for me to bring theese, just by peeling of the laser warning stickers? And how about the batteries, how should they be handled?

But, i wanted to know, if there are any LPF members, who comes from Nebraska, cause it would be cool to eventually meet someone, with a bit larger artillery of lasers than mine, plus i would like my 2 lasers to be LPM'ed when i get over there.. :)

I am so excited, about this trip, as im going to stay for 10 months, and thought it would be cool to bring my lasers, just as well as i've been thinking of buying a blue (445nm) for a while now, and i might think that'll be possible when i get to the States.. :)

Encap

The USA TSA site has a battery page here: TSA: Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices

Check the prohibited items page---I don't see lasers listed. Probably would be fine in checked luggage without batteries.

Do a search of this web site using both words "lasers" and "baggage" --there are many posts about same and lots of opinions and experiences.

If you are worried about it, just ship them to yourself at your address in Nebraska

Last edited:
I just recently passed through several major airports, Newark, Las Vegas, LAX, SFO, and JFK.

Lasers are not on the prohibited items list, and I had no trouble at any point. Batteries are not really an issue either. Not unless you're carrying a whole bunch of them.

My advice would be to take the lasers apart as much as you can. Take the more expensive parts in your carry on, the less expensive stuff in luggage.

Any batteries should be carried in a case, or at least a separate bag, in carry on.

If you want to pass through security screening with no trouble, just make sure you have nothing metal with you, in your carry on.

If you think something can be even thought of as dangerous, stick in your checked luggage.

Your fine, my 1/2" copper pipe 100mW green made it onto the carry on. I was worried a bit but it made it with no issues.

Thanks for the quick and usefull replies!

So, i should carry my 2 lasers with my, with my Carry on luggage? Should i peel the laser stickers of them, and if they ask just say they are flashlights, og should i just put them in my normal luggage and wrap them in my socks or some clothings, and put in the middle of my bag?

But i just thought i weren't allowed to take them with me, i thought lasers like theese were illegal in US? But i should just bring them without batteries in them, and have batteries with me on carry on? :)

Thanks again, guys!

Things

Don't take them on your carryon, that's just asking for issues. Put them underneath if anything, I've never had problems with that. But on that same note, I've never left the country, so ...

If you can't take them apart, then certainly do put them in checked baggage. Personally I prefer to keep the more expensive parts with me in carry on.

The legal issues regarding travel with lasers are kind of murky, it's basically up to the TSA at the time of transport.

@Things - Start traveling... I'm planning a trip to your neck of the desert around q2 2013 :p