Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

** ENDED **  PHASER diodes!

Daedal

Re: ** UPDATE **  PHASER diodes!

I got the reply back from the seller, these will be $150 for one and $200 for 2. These will be test units only and all the information inferred about these diodes will then be reported back to the forum. I am hoping to hold an open-participation event and then the two diodes will be raffled off to the participants.

I hope this appeals to enough members. Please all let me know what you think about this.

Thanx;
DDL

S

SenKat

Re: ** FEELER **  PHASER diodes!

Well, considering my personal "issues" you know, like lack of a job, etc - if you get ten folks in on it, that would be $20 each - that is my ceiling, so I am in for $20 ! Good work, man :) MAKE IT HAPPEN ! ;)

G !

$20 here also. Hope I can Paypal this, but if not let me know where to send check/ mo. Jon

ericab

doh! i think my limit has been broken here. sorry guys :-[

LarryQ

I'll Kick in for the group to get a test diode....how much will we have to chip in??

I just need to know where to send the PayPal If/When we decide to pull the trigger.

Larry

Gazoo

I am in a sort of wait and see mode. I did not realize they would charge $150.00 for one diode. I suppose I could chip in the $20.00, but I would at least like to know first if this is a multi mode diode.

S

SenKat

Gazoo said:
I am in a sort of wait and see mode. I did not realize they would charge $150.00 for one diode. I suppose I could chip in the $20.00, but I would at least like to know first if this is a multi mode diode.

The only way we will find out is if he orders one or more of them - hence the shipping in to get the diode. I am only on teh contributing side of this - I have no intention of buying any diodes at that high of a price - my budget simply will not allow it - but I will support this fact finding mission as much as possible !

G !

I'm sorry but what exactly can these lasers do that Senkats can't they are more powerful but what could be accomplished with this more power. You can light white matches with Senkats in the right case. I won't be buying one but I just wanted to know.

S

SenKat

There is ALWAYS the search for more power ! ;)

G !

Gazoo

corim123 said:
I'm sorry but what exactly can these lasers do that Senkats can't they are more powerful but what could be accomplished with this more power. You can light white matches with Senkats in the right case. I won't be buying one but I just wanted to know.

Funny you should mention this. I ran out of white matches before I got SenKat's diodes so I had to go out last night and got some more white matches. They are almost impossible to light by pointing directly at the head of the match. But if I point at the very bottom of the head where it meets the paper part of the match, it lights right up... :)

Gazoo

SenKat said:
The only way we will find out is if he orders one or more of them - hence the shipping in to get the diode. I am only on teh contributing side of this - I have no intention of buying any diodes at that high of a price - my budget simply will not allow it - but I will support this fact finding mission as much as possible !

G !

Well I was kind of hoping Daedal could get this confirmed. If the only way to find out is to get the samples, then count me in too. I just hope at least 10 people are willing to contribute.

Yep, and the quest for more power is more than just a hobbyists ambition. There are reasons why kW lasers exist, and there are reasons why companies pay huge sums for them. Why a stronger red diode? Brighter laser show? Quicker/easier burning (IE, of a DVD)? etc. And of course, its gunna cost more to get more power.

Daedal, is the seller really that clueless as to everything including power requirements, divergence, mode characteristics, etc? It sounds like its time to find the real manufacturer! heh. Well count me in on funding a sample, but that's pretty disappointing if the seller has no idea what they're selling.

I'm mostly interested in seeing: 1. if these actually perform safely at the supposed spec. 2. If they are multi-mode diodes. I'm not sure if you've had a chance to play with a multi-mode portable before or not, but the beam specs and profile will appall anyone who is used to the normal laser pens.

Daedal

I understand all your concerns and your loss at this matter, but believe me... there is a track of almost 50 e-mails back and forth trying to get answers and all I hear is promises to get a full spec sheet. The only info available on this is the small amount of data that I supplied before. Therefore we are forced to make this test run to find out.

I will be posting the prepared details for participation in this DONATION later on tonight. I say 'donation' because I am trying to not get into trouble with the boys over at PP and GC. All donations will be in increments of $5 and each donation comes with a FREE entry into a poll to get the diodes after testing has been finished.

Thanx all;
DDL

Daedal

** UPDATE **

** UPDATE **

Considering that there is much interest here. I have gone forward and have requested that a sample be made available so a thorough test can be conducted on the usability of these diodes. I will be getting 2 diodes from them for $200. The price for one was $150, and $200 for 2, so I opted to get 2 of them as the price drops significantly after that first one.

This will be an open participation in the test and a preliminary to the future GB of this item. Such are the details of this event:

Each diode will be placed in an AixiZ module and powered using a double current/voltage regulated circuit.
Each diode will be driven to 200mW CW with passive cooling for 1 minute. (Big aluminum block)
Each diode will then be driven to 350mW CW with active cooling for 30 seconds. (Peltier cooling)
If the test with active cooling yields a successful, stable output, the test will be reconducted using passive cooling.
Output will be measured using a calibrated power meter that is very generously supplied by SenKat. Thank you very much SenKat.
Current and voltage will both be recorded and reported. (at 200mW and 350mW)
Data, pictures, and graphs will all be posted on here for 'our own' datasheet for these diodes.

Here are the terms for participation:

The diodes, with the AixiZ modules, will be raffled off one by one to a maximum of 2 winners.
The winners will get the diodes shipped to them in a protective case.
Participation is by 'donations'.
Each donation will be for $5 for a total of 40 donations.
The winners will be drawn as soon as the results from the testing are all done.
Payments can be made via PayPal and/or Google checkout.
Paypal charges a 3% fee on all money received, and so there is a 3% "shipping and handling" fee added to the final price.
GC is very generously FREE, and so there is no fee for using it.
This will go on until the 40 donations have been received. There is no way for anyone to keep track of this since it is using 2 checkout procedures, so anyone who participates after the 40 have been sold will get their money refunded.
The order will be sent in a day or two after the money has been received and shipping will take a couple of weeks or so based on their speculation. :)

With that, let's get this going.
Payments can be made at http://pay.*******.com ** PAYMENTS CLOSED **

Thank you all for you support and participation;
DDL

Donations:

UserAmount
SenKat$50
Joniverson$30
Merl$50
Gazoo$30
Hemlock Mike$10
Chimo$10
LarryQ$25

** CLOSED!! **

Benm

Re: ** UPDATE on page 4 **  PHASER diodes!

Light cigarettes?

It's gonna be a big expensive lighter, but cool :)

S

SenKat

Re: ** UPDATE on page 4 **  PHASER diodes!

Daedal - I am in :) Thanks, man - although I went above my before mentioned limit - I wanted to make sure that this test is successful ! ;D

G !