Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

(EDIT. New pics)Lot of requests for machining lately...

Gadget

Re: Lot of requests for machining lately...

This is how Ehg was able to do his hosts for relatively cheap and make fair amounts of money off it, he had a CNC lathe.

Hmm, that's funny. He mentioned to me, in PM, that he had one of the 7x mini lathes. Although that was at the beginning of the year.

It's what I have, as well, but I spent a little extra and got the MicroMark 7x16 just for the longer bed and not having to do the final adjustments myself. And I'm glad that I did now. The tailstock is dead on center, and all I had to do was some slight gib adjustments and I was makin' shavings the same day it arrived.

Now I just need to pick up a mill and I'll be able to make anything I, or anyone else, wants.

Last edited:

Could you show some size comparisons? Like have it next to a quarter or somethin? (Or a banana for scale ;)):D
Also, what does the clicky switch look like? Otherwise it is a sweet host! :D
What would be the price range?

Last edited:

Gadget

Here it is with an 18650 in frame. I went ahead and made a focus cap for it that'll hide the set screw hole, but it'll need to have a focus ring from a module pressed in.

The tail switch is from a 501B I think, black rubber cap. I know it's kinda cheesy in that regard, but I haven't had the chance to order any metal ones yet.

I have no idea where to even price it! I was thinking around $120 +shipping, but then I look at some of Egh's hosts and damn it seems steep. I know it's not, but his sure make it seem that way.

11607-las-scratch-host-complete-small.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Sta

Sta

That host is very nice! It's 2x18650, right?
Also, once you start making more hosts, the prices will probably start to go down, as you streamline the process. :beer:
+rep!

Gadget

Thanks for all the compliments, everyone!
Next on the agenda is a "cookie cutter" host that I can crank out quicker, 'cause if I were to try to charge for all my time, that host would eat up a thousand bucks easy.

Yes, it is 2x18650. Lildutchboy has claimed it.

Sta

Thanks for all the compliments, everyone!
Next on the agenda is a "cookie cutter" host that I can crank out quicker, 'cause if I were to try to charge for all my time, that host would eat up a thousand bucks easy.

Yes, it is 2x18650. Lildutchboy has claimed it.

Great! Good luck with your cookie cutter host.
Are you planning to get a mill soon?

I can't wait to get it! I was thinking of putting a NUBM07E in it! Ooooooor waiting a little bit and saving some for a nice green to put inside :D Either way I am really excited to get ahold of this!

Gadget

Great! Good luck with your cookie cutter host.
Are you planning to get a mill soon?

Why yes...yes I am. It'll be after christmas sometime, tho.

I'm designing something similar to the Kryton Groove for a quick-turnaround host, but not so much so that it'll give Grainde a headache. If I'm not mistaken he has an exclusive on the Kryton and there'll be no toe-steppin' from me. They'll be module only, tail-clicky only, and maybe...just maybe a GITD inlay option. And I'll come up with a name for 'em like they did for the Kryton.

I'll be transitioning to metal tail switches for everything I do, as soon as I can find some decent ones. I already have a set (RG&B) of lighted momentary side buttons to play around with and explore options for incorporating them. I'm thinking they may get their own little threaded section, but don't know yet. The lighted buttons won't be going in the quickies, only nicer hosts like the one Lildutchboy just got, which I'll be shipping out to him tomorrow morning.

That one came out looking more like a flashlight than I would have liked, but I did it all on-the-fly, no design work on it at all. Although I did record everything when it was done so, I can make similar ones later. And, since this is all manual machining, no two will ever be exactly the same. Not even the quickies.

One thing that's gonna reduce my production time substantially is to start using tube instead of rod. Boring EATS UP the time (and makes a hell of a lot of shavings)! It's five drill steps from rod up to 3/4" bore. I may still use rod for some of the one-offs, but it'll mostly be for heads and tailcaps.

I gotta say, man....I love doing this so much that I just came back up to the house from an all-nighter in the shop (I mentioned that time anomaly in my shop, right?....yeah it's very active. I didn't even realize it was already 0600 'til the wife came down and brought coffee!)

I can already see me being in this for the long haul, so you guys better hang on, I got a few ideas! And if any of you are sensitive to it, you'll be able to feel the love I put in oozing out of the hosts that come out of my shop.

@ Lildutchboy...you gotta put up some pics when you get a diode in that bad boy! And, if you need any help setting up the focus cap, give me a holler.

Thank you all for the tremendous support! I'm only doing it for all of you!

-G

I'll most definitely be putting a 07E inside of it once I earn up some extra money! I can't wait to get my hands on this thing! :D

Okay guys sorry for posting this so late but the host came in a day early! It was very well packaged and had a ton of packaging peanuts to keep it safe:D

It is a very thick and heavy host which is exactly how I like em! This thing is a serious monster and I can't wait to get a diode for it!

The threading is fantastic and it looks aesthetically amazing!

Pics

sStJeqt.jpg

7LidyRN.jpg

5KvsgID.jpg

0kwPqbE.jpg

MJRvRrY.jpg

(yes I know the 4th image is huge. It won't let me resize it :( )

I absolutely love this thing!! Gadget, Thanks a ton for this beautiful host! I can't wait to get a good diode in it to show it off :D

:lasergun:

Gadget

Okay guys sorry for posting this so late but the host came in a day early! It was very well packaged and had a ton of packaging peanuts to keep it safe:D

It is a very thick and heavy host which is exactly how I like em! This thing is a serious monster and I can't wait to get a diode for it!

The threading is fantastic and it looks aesthetically amazing!

I absolutely love this thing!! Gadget, Thanks a ton for this beautiful host! I can't wait to get a good diode in it to show it off :D

:lasergun:

Thanks for the kind words Zach, I'm humbled!
All my work will be of the same quality, and I'm glad you like the threading. It took a lot of practice to get to that point! Glad it came a day early!

And just a note for everyone...Zach was a pleasure to do business with, prompt payment, patient, all around good experience!

@Encap...fear not, there will be more to come. Thanks for the kind words.

-G

Last edited:
Wow, that appears to be very skilled work to me. You must have had some training before or are a machinist?

Gadget

Negative my good Alaskan! I'm a commercial/industrial electrician. That was my first ever complete host. I've only had the lathe since February or so. I'm just a natural....at a lot of things. Especially hands-on creation of just about anything. Before this, I had never even seen a lathe up close.

Look out Ehgemus...there might not be a spot for you to fill should you come back! ;). I got a few ideas...and one of 'em is to wrangle his method of layering the metals out of him. If I can get that out of him...it's on! Oh yes, it will be on!

Thanks for the kind words A.

-G

Last edited:
I ordered my 07E yesterday night and I'm hoping to have it in by Friday if all goes well! I'll make sure to post some more pictures when it comes in!

Gadget

EXCELLENT, Zach!! Looking forward to pics of that beast lasing in your new host.

-G

Last edited: