Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ebay Seller Techhood

Hey all,

I had heard some great things about the ebay seller techhood, so I decided to give him/her a shot. About two weeks ago I purchased a 100mw 532nm module, and I just got it this afternoon. Elated, I hooked it up to a 3.7 volt battery and the output from the module was very low... about 10x less than my 5mw ( which in all reality is probably a 35-40mw) 532. For that matter, it is less bright than the 25 cent 650nm modules I have been playing with this week. :wtf:

I tested the current to the driver ; it is right on spec at 350mA, and the battery's voltage is good also. This leads me to believe that the diode is just fried.

Has anyone ever had any trouble with this module before, or had something from techhood that wasn't up to spec? I am hoping to get this resolved once the Chinese New Year is over; though I really don't want to have to pay the reutrn shipping to China :/

The crystals could be misaligned due the shipping
BE CAREFUL THIS MODULE COULD LEAK MUCH IR LIGHT

1. try to filter out the green light with safety glasses this is to not overexpose the camera with green so that you can't see the IR later (I heard red wine also works for this)

2. check it by photographing or filming the dot with a camera try different ones most have IR Filters if there is much IR leaking you should see a gray-white sometimes violet-white bigger dot in the photos you made

If it's a 3V module try two AA batteries in series sometimes 3V modules don't like higher voltages!

The crystals could be misaligned due the shipping
BE CAREFUL THIS MODULE COULD LEAK MUCH IR LIGHT

1. try to filter out the green light with safety glasses this is to not overexpose the camera with green so that you can't see the IR later (I heard red wine also works for this)

2. check it by photographing or filming the dot with a camera try different ones most have IR Filters if there is much IR leaking you should see a gray-white sometimes violet-white bigger dot in the photos you made

If it's a 3V module try two AA batteries in series sometimes 3V modules don't like higher voltages!

I tried the two AA idea earlier; when I did I couldn't see any light at all. Let's say I can film the grayish IR light, is there a way for me to personally adjust the crystals, or would this be something I should return to the seller?

aligning glued crystals in such a tiny space is nearly impossible to do that's definitely a return to seller case:)

Always attempt to return to seller first. Tinkering is a last resort. If the seller says, "Sorry, no returns or refunds," then you are out for the whole price of the laser, may as well try to tinker with it. Worst that will happen is that you'll break the broken laser, best that will happen is that you repair it.

Sellers will not refund or replace items that you have disassembled in such a way contraindicated by instructions.

Tmack

Always have had perfect module come from techhood. Once his module was a 10mw underspec on a 200mW 650 and he still refund me $10. I didn't even complain. I just told him what the reading was. He said he wants to make sure his ratings are exactly (or above) spec, so he refunded my account $10 on a $30 purchase. My 120mw 532 were all over 120mW and I've gotten a few. He will be willing to make it right. Just give him a chance to respond before you try to fix it.

i too have only had good experiences with techhood. They're usually very helpful and quick to respond. Just send them an email.:beer:

I told him what was going on, and within a day he decided to ship me a whole new module at no cost. I will definitely be giving him a good review. I told him I had heard some good things from people here and he seemed to appreciate that. So now that that is taken care of, what are the odds that this guy is outputting a ton of IR? I don't have access to an LPM very often; I use my college's laser lab when I get the chance. Let's say I find some time to test it, and its just misaligned- have you guys ever tried to fix one?

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

That's nice! Techhood is definitely a good seller

Aligning your bad module is near impossible but IF you wanna try it you need patience, watch maker skills AND IR+Green Safety goggles.