Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ebay laser combiner?

Amply

I found this on ebay and was wondering what the likely-hood of it actually working with a m140 445nm laser diode putting out 2W-2.14W?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331101469581
I don't know anything about optics but from what i'm told you have 2 beams go in and 1 goes through while the other gets reflected 90 degrees and joins the other laser and you get like 50% more power?..?

It seems sketchy because i see some going for 40-100 dollars and this is 14 dollars from ebay... any thoughts?

Last edited:

diachi

Yes it'll work - although you'll want an adjustable mount to put it on so that you can adjust it accurately.

Won't be quite 100% efficient so if you've got 4W going in you won't get quite 4W out but it should be fairly close.

Amply

I actually lose power? what's the point in combining lasers if not to achieve greater power or change in color?

diachi

I actually lose power? what's the point in combining lasers if not to achieve greater power or change in color?

Well ... maybe I didn't explain that well, let me try again! :D

If you've got 2x 2W beams entering the cube you won't quite get 4W out, you'll get a little less than 4W. The same thing happens with any optic - there are no 100% efficient optics, you will always lose some power.

Last edited:

Benm

Silicone insulated stranded wire seems to work well for me - there was some in a group buy long ago on here, but i suppose it can be found elsewhere.

The most imporant thing is that the wire actually contains a good amount of copper conductor. I've seen ones on battery holders like that which only had about 10 minute strands of wire, and i doubt they were even copper considering how difficult they were to solder (perhaps tin-clad steel or something like that).

I like flexible stranded cable for most such applications, but if you don't need it to be flexible, a really good source or single core wires are ethernet cables. The proper cat5 stuff for a few amps over short distances.

Before you buy this, ill let you know that it looks like a dichroic beam combiner, rather than a polarising beamsplitter/combiner. Im not certain of this, but it looks to me like it is a pass RG, reflect B dichroic mirror. Definitely check with the seller.

Edit: It may be a little to late to point this out, since you have probably already gotten this by now, but it will not work with 2 blue lasers; only a blue, and an either red, green, or RG-yellow laser can be combined with it if i am correct in my assumption that this is a dichro.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS