Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ebay green laser (pot mod) but no pot...

Pad

Evening,

First thing I would like to say is hello to all, this being my first post.

Lasers are new but very interesting hobby to me.

Anyho,w I recently bought a cheep ebay green laser to 'pot mod'.

However after stripping it down I see there is no pot!

I have tried search, but could someone with a bit more knowledge point me in the direction of moding such a motherboard. I belive one of the surface mount resistors can be fried to up the out put? Am I right in thinking?

Thanks in advance fellas.

P

LaZeRz

Hey, first of all, welcome to LPF!

Many people will tell you this, and I will aswell... Potmodding is not reccommended with any green laser pen. By pot modding it you Might get a higher output but you will reduce the pointers life dramatically. Oh yeh, and dont fry the resistor... If you do that makes the whole driver useless and your lasers gets direct driven of your batts. Killing it instantly.

If you really want a good 50-200mW (maybe even more) of green output (or any other colour infact) Check out o-like.com and lazerer.com.

Oh yeh, cant forget to mention safety... Never point any laser at any living thing or vehicle and always wear safety glasses while doing close up work indoors :)

Pad

Ok, so scrap the pot modding... muck.

What about a first build? Would there be a decent guide that I could get stuck into?

Where did you start out?

I guess that would give much more statisfaction than 'turning up the switch'.

P

Ok, so scrap the pot modding... muck.

What about a first build? Would there be a decent guide that I could get stuck into?

Where did you start out?

I guess that would give much more statisfaction than 'turning up the switch'.

P

It depends on what kind of funds you have and what you plan to do with a laser. If your just after some burning. I suggest looking at 100-200mw red lasers. Those will cost anywhere between 25-50 bucks depending if you buy it or make it. You could always buy one of swimminsurfer's overspec greenies. Some people have had their lasers peak as high as 70-110 mw! http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/s...c-5mw-pen-shop-stock-now-w-blu-ray-65618.html

This will give much less satisfaction than you think. Without a pot you cannot control the current. If your laser still works (Which It most likely wont) after you destroy a resistor... it wont for long because the pump or crystals will burn out from too much current. You might as well throw your money away.

Anyway I cant provide much more without more information. I hope you find a badass laser. Please remember safety glasses are HIGHLY reccomended if you are a beginner and you buy a high powered laser.