Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

eBay 405nm "5mW" Pen - What should I expect?

Hi!

I'm a bit new to the laser hobby. I've ordered a 1.2W from Blord, which should be on its way. Previously, however, I took a chance and ordered a cheap laser pointer off eBay after hearing the overspec rumors.

So, the laser came in the mail today. I put some cheap batteries in it and pointed it at my hand...

Well, I didn't feel any heat at first. I kept it there for a few seconds, and felt what I thought was a bit of heat, but it could just be a placebo effect...

So I pointed it at my leather wallet for a while. No smoke. I used a black sharpie to make a dot on a McDonald's cup. No smoke. I couldn't find any black balloons.

The dot is bright. The divergence is pretty bad, but it could just be that the dot is so bright my eyes see a sort of aurora around it. My eyes are a bit sore from the bright dot. Again, could just be a placebo effect. I've tried not to look at the dot for too long, just in case. (My laser goggles are coming with Blord's laser... Should be here soon.)

I can only see a very faint beam in the dark.

So is what I have here a 5mW pointer or a possibly higher power laser? What are some burning tests I can conduct with it?

Thanks,
Scott

Blord

That "5mW" is probably closer to 100mW. The penlasers aren't focusable. You need a magnifier glass to converge the dot into a tiny point. That can pop a balloon and smoke black plastic.

Do this before the 445nm laser arrived. After you are spoiled with the 445nm C6 you won't go back to the 405nm penlaser. :)

Last edited:
That "5mW" is probably closer to 100mW. The penlasers aren't focusable. You need a magnifier glass to converge the dot into a tiny point. That can pop a balloon and smoke black plastic.

Do this before the 445nm laser arrived. After you are spoiled with the 445nm C6 you won't go back to the 405nm penlaser. :)

Yeah, I'm kind of afraid to do anything with it right now then :p

I should probably just wait to get some safety goggles first, no?

If you are burning or trying to burn things you should be using goggles. As Blord said its probably closer to 100 mW, so why risk it? Id just wait until the goggles arrive...:beer:

Last edited:
Ok, so I can confirm that I can feel an ever so slight amount of heat on my arm. It depends where I shine it. (On my hand, I can't feel it for some reason)

It hasn't been able to burn or make anything smoke, even on black surfaces.

Will I still need goggles to look at the dot it makes?

Keep in mind I do realize how much damage lasers can cause to eyes. Once I get my 1.2W there is NO WAY I will be using it without goggles on. However, this is significantly lower power, so are wearing goggles mandatory? (Considering I won't be looking at the dot for more than 15 seconds at a time)

Those 405nm fleabay pens can range from 5mw to 100mw as evidenced by the tread in the deals forum. The one I ordered came in at 50mw. If you're pointing it at a non-relective surface you should be fine but when trying to burn something I would recommend proper eyeware. Assuming it's 100mw that isn't really enough to permanently blind you but it can cause permanent eye damage.

I ordered 3 lasers off ebay. 1 from a different seller and 2 from a different one.

Can't wait to see them.

catman

Op, you should expect a laser of unknown power that's really unlikely to be eye safe. The 405nm ones are notorious for having their power all over the place. 405nm.com will measure them before sending so you know where you are (you can even say what power you want and he'll try to find one close) and his prices are really resonable. Check my thread in the blue ray forum.

You'll see nothing in day light, a little spot at night.

I can see a dot from a 5mW (measured) 405nm indoors in direct sunlight daylight, but it's very faint.

Op, you should expect a laser of unknown power that's really unlikely to be eye safe. The 405nm ones are notorious for having their power all over the place. 405nm.com will measure them before sending so you know where you are (you can even say what power you want and he'll try to find one close) and his prices are really resonable. Check my thread in the blue ray forum.

You should take notice that the OP was 7 months ago :thinking: im pretty sure he has moved on from his 405nm pen

Last edited:

catman

Just saw the thread was high up and answered thinking it wa recently posted.

catman

Would it be possible to implement a mechanism to lock threads older than x months? Or at least warn a person before he posts in it (maybe he does have something useful to add that is still relevant)? I've seen similar things on other boards and it appears to be a nice feature.

not sure, might want to suggest that though. there are some reasons why bring a thread back isnt always bad but generally if your comment has nothing to add, then it should stay dead (not saying you awakened the dead)

catman

Yes, I'm more for the warning before posting, like 'this thread is 2 months old, are you sure you want to post in it' or something like that. Maybe just this text appearing in the quick reply box.