Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Eagle goggles

Liquidator

I bought Eagle Goggles and Red Laser Power 1-5 mw.
Is it permissible to look at the laser which is 1-5 mw with the glasses?

Last edited:

What do you mean look? The beam strait into the glasses, or the spot on a wall? Are you sure the beam is 1-5 mw? What pointer? Have a pict to post?

Liquidator

What do you mean look? The beam strait into the glasses, or the spot on a wall? Are you sure the beam is 1-5 mw? What pointer? Have a pict to post?
it on a barcode scanner with a 650 nm class 2 laser.
Sometimes it hits the eyes during work.

For myself, I'm not worried about a 5 mw scanner flashing me from time to time even without goggles, I for sure would not stare into it anyway. I wouldn't like it and would try to avoid it as an annoyance. That said, I can't speak for anyone else but myself. With those goggles on, if they had an OD of even as low as 2, no problem.

Liquidator

For myself, I'm not worried about a 5 mw scanner flashing me from time to time even without goggles, I for sure would not stare into it anyway. I wouldn't like it and would try to avoid it as an annoyance. That said, I can't speak for anyone else but myself. With those goggles on, if they had an OD of even as low as 2, no problem.
The glasses od4 +

Encap

1mW and 5mW are considered eye safe without laser glasses and normally would not harm an eye unless a person deliberately stared into the beam. Laser protective eyewear is normally not necessary, however, even a Class 2 laser can be a distraction, glare or flashblindness hazard for pilots and drivers

Laser glasses for 650nm wavelength OD4+ is more than enough.
See Class 2 info here: https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/2/

See: https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/

Liquidator

1mW and 5mW are considered eye safe without laser glasses and normally would not harm an eye unless a person deliberately stared into the beam. Laser protective eyewear is normally not necessary, however, even a Class 2 laser can be a distraction, glare or flashblindness hazard for pilots and drivers

Laser glasses for 650nm wavelength OD4+ is more than enough.
See Class 2 info here: https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/2/

See: https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/
Level 2 laser can do retinal damage doesn't it?
And goggles od4 +? Protect?

Encap

Look at the link I just gave you -- https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/2/

"EYE INJURY HAZARD -- DIRECT AND REFLECTED BEAM
Class 2 visible-light lasers are considered safe for unintentional eye exposure, because a person will normally turn away or blink to avoid the bright light. Do NOT deliberately stare into the beam -- this can cause injury to the retina in the back of the eye.

Be aware of beam reflections off glass and shiny surfaces. Depending on the surface, the reflected beam could be about as strong and as focused as a direct beam.

The Nominal Ocular Hazard Distance (NOHD) for the most powerful Class 2 laser (0.99 mW) with a tight beam (0.5 milliradian divergence) is 46 ft (14 m).
If you are closer than the NOHD distance to the laser, there is a possibility of retinal injury if you stare for a number of seconds into the direct or reflected beam. There would be no retinal injury from a momentary or accidental exposure, if you close your eye, move your head or otherwise avoid the beam staying in your eye. As with any laser exposure, the closer you are to the laser and the longer the beam is in the eye, the greater the chance of injury. "

OD4 reduces the power to 1/10,000th/ .01% so...

Normally eyewear is not required for Class 1 and 2
See: https://noirlaser.com/laser-standards

OD 2 rated laser glasses would reduce that 1-5 mw to 1/100 or .01 to .05 mw, hardly a problem. OD 4 to 1/10,000 of 1-5 mw. But as I wrote earlier, a scanner at that power level is more of an annoyance than a danger to me personally and laser goggles an extreme protection against it.

Last edited:

Liquidator

OD 2 rated laser glasses would reduce that 1-5 mw to 1/100 or .01 to .05 mw, hardly a problem. OD 4 to 1/10,000 of 1-5 mw. But as I wrote earlier, a scanner at that power level is more of an annoyance than a danger to me personally and laser goggles an extreme protection against it.

I already bought od4 + goggles that I will have.
The question of whether I'm watching the laser beam with the glasses is dangerous?

Encap

Are you just trolling the forum or do you not understand English?
You have been given the answer multiple times already by more than one member.

Class 2 laser are generally eye safe and don't require laser glasses---the glasses you bought if they are for 650nm lasers reduce the power to 1/10,000th of the already safe with no glasses 1mW. Attempt to comprehend the answers ---2+2=4---yikes!

Last edited:

GSS

^^^^ This ^^^^ and wondering too??
You work the register at a store??
Wearing laser safety glasses all the time at the register will not let you see just about anything else.
Everything will look blue and dark..

Liquidator

^^^^ This ^^^^ and wondering too??
You work the register at a store??
Wearing laser safety glasses all the time at the register will not let you see just about anything else.
Everything will look blue and dark..
I don't always put the glasses on when the laser opposite is turned on and blinding.

GSS

I can't see a inventory or stocking gun scanner being blindingly bright..
They most likely are safety regulated regardless where you live and work. No brighter than a dollar store cat toy and the are projected as lines and not a spot..
Never ever seen someone complain as a worker or shopper at a scanner:whistle:

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
How often when you go into supermarkets do you see cashiers wearing laser goggles exactly?
Also shops have strict regulations for follow for ensuring safety for their staff and customers. They will not install anything that would present a hazard to yours or anyone else's eyesight. Unless you are facing a severe case of boredom and are staring for periods into the barcode scanners, i can not see a problem here at all.

GSS

I literally just came back from a eye doctors appointment about 3 hours ago..
I stared into 5 different eye machines and 2 of them had red a green laser scanners go over and over my eyes at point blank. Point is they are used widely..
If your just paranoid by nature and not trolling, all I can say is you are worrying for nothing.