Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dx Ultrafire sku.7886 Flashlight style green laser

Razako

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7886
I bought one of these because it looked nice and I wanted a constant on/off flashlight style laser.
I got it today and all I can say is WOW THIS IS A POS :mad:
The package was in great condition and the laser was well protected in a padded box so I don't buy the "damaged during shipping" excuse.

I took the laser out of the box and put the included cr123a primary and clicked the tailcap switch. Nothing happened... I tested the battery and that wasn't the issue. I noticed that the spring inside of the laser was badly off center and I carefully pushed it back into the middle. Tried again and still no output....
Next I tried a rechargeable 3.6v cr123a and still nothing......
When I took the battery out the spring that had been attached to the driver actually fell out of the laser.

I figured that this would be easy to fix and I took the laser apart. In doing so I found even more surprises.
This laser does not have ANY kind of IR filter!!!!!!!!!!!
The laser module was tilted inside of the laser.
The lens had some kind of chemical residue all over it that needed to be cleaned off.
The general machining quality of the metal parts and threads was horrible overall.

Next I got the the actual PCB and I'm not sure where to begin :eek:
The spring had fallen off because it had only been attached by a weak cold solder joint and the spring had only been sitting on top of the solder.....No bonding at all. Additionally the PCB had various components misaligned and plenty of crappy solder joints.
After seeing this thread.
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1205804079
I decided to try hooking the battery directly to the positive and negative inputs on the board. STILL NO OUTPUT. I tried messing with the pot and nothing happened. I am now convinced that this laser is completely FUBAR.
It amazes me how a company that makes such great flashlights can make such a ridiculously shitty laser. Under the shiny QC sticker and outer body this laser is complete trash. I wonder if QC even turned the thing on ::)

I understand that Dx lasers can be a gamble but this thing was a complete scam :mad:
DO NOT BUY!

Re: Dx Ultrafire sku.7886 Flashlight style green l

WOAH!! I was just about to buy this thing! Thanks for posting this, you just saved me from being scammed!

Razako

MarioMaster said:
ouch, got any pics?
Basically the inside looks like this pic that supernova took of his only worse. I'm not sure if I just got really unlucky or not but I wouldn't recommend this laser to anyone. As you can see I'm not the only one having issues with it.
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1205804079
gl1.jpg

Switch

Are you sure the sticker doesn't say "QC failed miserably"? :p Wow...this sucks more that usual.I mean getting a laser with a problem or two, even mode hopping is to be expected....but getting a FUBAR laser, like you put it, is beyond sucking.

TL bought the 20mW version, and said it was an AWESOME laser outing 50mW of green!!

I guess the 30mW version is crap!

Razako

amkdeath said:
TL bought the 20mW version, and said it was an AWESOME laser outing 50mW of green!!

I guess the 30mW version is crap!
I think they just have really poor QC. IF you read the reviews on the 30mw one guy bought 5 of them and 3 of them had some issues. Still it amazes me how they didn't catch the problems with mine.

would you sell it? i'd be interested if you havent sent it back already

Switch

QC is probably an automated machine spitting out stickers on anything that gets close enough ;D

I spun the aluminum parts and got everything to "seat" better in mine and it works fine. That said without the adjusting and fixing, mine was DOA too. If yours will not work by using the + and - on the pcb then it may have other issues. I re-tapped all the threads on the path for the barrel to make the electrical flow better and it works really well now.

SN

Benm

Switch said:
QC is probably an automated machine spitting out stickers on anything that gets close enough in sight
;)

I like DX in general, but sometimes i wonder if they do any QC themselves at all. Perhaps they should just check every single unit before shipping it, as their manufacturer clearly does not. This might increase prices by a dollar or so, but then you are at least sure that you'll get a product to works to some degree.

lol, hey, where'd you get that cool sticker on your finger from :p

I doubt the Chinese even know what QC means... They just do it because for some reason this magical "QC passed" sticker raises sales by a lot...