Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DX U.S. Laser Ban

ixfd64

I forgot that Senkat is in the United States. My bad.

However, I don't think the U.S. is actually banning lasers. I think it's the laser companies that are voluntarily blocking U.S.-based orders. Otherwise, this would be on the news already.

diachi

I think it's only non-FDA certified lasers that are being banned from import, laser like the RPL should still be ok.

People are confusing several different things going on here at once:

1) Dragonlasers and some other companies are closed for the Olympics. Other companies have said the same thing about their suppliers being closed for the Olympics. Unrelated to the DX no-shipping-to-us, and has nothing to do with a "US laser ban", China just closed a lot of businesses/factories during the Olympics.

2) DX is now no longer shipping these lasers to the US, probably because of pressure from the US government/FDA. Similar pressure could follow on other companies who don't comply with FDA rules regarding registration/safety features.

2a) THIS IS NOT A NEW BAN. What DX and users here have been doing has been ILLEGAL all along, nothing changed except now DX is following the law. There has been a law prohibiting the import of these lasers since before this website existed, and is not something new. Buying a >5mW laser without the safety mechanisms and FDA requirements has been illegal for a long time, it is only now that the FDA is getting to them.

3) Using a middleman to get a laser into the US is still ILLEGAL. Check FrothyChimp's post http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1219120905/40#40

If you want a green laser or a burning red laser, make one yourself or buy one that is LEGALLY imported. And if you really do want to illegally import these lasers at the risk of $250,000 fines and years in federal prison, DON'T POST ABOUT IT ON A PUBLIC FORUM.

ixfd64

pullbangdead said:
3) Using a middleman to get a laser into the US is still ILLEGAL.  Check FrothyChimp's post http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1219120905/40#40

If you want a green laser or a burning red laser, make one yourself or buy one that is LEGALLY imported.  And if you really do want to illegally import these lasers at the risk of $250,000 fines and years in federal prison, DON'T POST ABOUT IT ON A PUBLIC FORUM.

Well, how come nobody from LPF has been caught yet?

This is similar to jaywalking. There's a law against it, but it's rarely enforced. But still, we have to keep in mind that there is such a law in existence.