Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DX 30mw Arrived

BobW55

WoooHoo, My 30mw DX arrived today. What a difference over my 5mw. Yes the dot on the wall is much brighter, and when shinning into the night air the beam can be seen to out distance the 5mw unit. I was hoping I would get lucky and get a hot unit that maybe did better than 30mw, but no deal. All this with the stock batteries that came with it. Will have to try some fresh ones or some lithiums.
For $30.00 I am impressed, paid $35 for my 5mw Ebaser.

Kenom

Now, don't go trying to modify that badboy to get more power. I got my 30mw dx about 3 weeks ago and after two weeks couldn't resist the urge to tear into it. The thing has an APC built into it to keep the output power below 30mw. I removed the sensor and the beam splitter inside and it automatically increased the output power However having the beamsplitter gone made it so that my beam was no longer exiting the module at the correct angle and it is now hitting the side of my optics instead of the center.

Hopefully you can see it. it's kind of hard to see but it's exiting the aperature at the bottom of the aperature not in the center of the aperature. As a result of exiting on the side it makes it so I have lots of artifacts and whatnot in the beam at about 50 meters it's not very colimated and not very impressive distance although it is brighter. :)

BobW55

So your saying that because of the APC even attempting the pot mod would be of little use?

I did find it will burn a thru electrical tape placed over the end.

May pull my Ebaser apart to play with it.

Don't put the tape right on the end of the laser cuz the smoke from the tape might damage the lens. Just to warn ya if ya want to keep doing it thats fine im just telling you that it MIGHT damage the laser. I just dont want you getting all happy about it then not have it work ya know? Do you have any pics of it???
Jake

Kenom

Yes, because of the APC the pot mod is useless. The APC is a photodiode up to in the beam actually beside the beam and there is a beam splitter that shoots half the beam at the photodiode. it's purpose is to measure the output power of the laser and regulate the current going to the diode to make sure it doesn't exceed a cetain power level. In this instance it's 30mw. You can bypass the APC by cutting the wires and then the pot mod will work however since there is a beam splitter up top the beam is being divided so some of the power is being sent to the photodiode.

I thought to myself. HMMM. maybe I can get rid of the splitter and the photodiode assembly. Maybe I can get more power by not havning the beam split. Yes it works. by doing so I changed the beams path and it no longer exits the laser in the correct place. So you can get rid of the wires controlling the APC. you can amp up the pot. that's about it.

BobW55

Don't think I will take it apart. I have my Ebaser to play with. Just have to get me some GOOD fresh batteries to tell what it can do. But for $30 I am impressed.......

BobW55

The thought just occurred to me. What if you partailly blocked or filtered the feed back to the APC? See what you all have made me do, now all I want to do is make the good better!!!

Kenom

You can do that although it's just the same as clipping the wires to the APC. hmmm I think I get what your saying. by making the thing believe it's running low you can increase the output to compensate for the lower ouput beam that is hitting the sensor. I don't think it works that way. by removing the sensor completely it didn't increase the output on mine. it wasn't until I removed the splitter that I got any increase in power. by removing the sensor out of the beam path it should have shown a complete lack of output power and would amp it up all the way. However it did not. I think your best to just leave the wires clipped, pot adjusted as high as it will go before it craps out and leave it there. Unless your really really good at hand aligning crystals then you could probably get it perfect! hehe.

hmm i wont have the cash for an expensive laser for a  while so.. im thinkin about gettin the 30 but i dont like the "apc" thing.. but  does anyone know about how much of the 30mw is ir?

Kenom

Actually from what I understand.  the Dx30mw is IR filtered.  Now, I've taken apart my DX30mw completely and did not see a filter although I could have mixed up one of the optics for the filter.  If CPF were up and running I could show you pictures of the laser I dissasembled.  Alas it's taking a long time to get CPF back up so no pics.  I'll see what I can find.

Wires leading up to the top lead to a sensor and the APC.

oh on the thing it didnt say the laser came with no ir filter..just "as most china made lasers do not come with and ir filter" so.. i dunno lol im just gettin one to mess around anyway..even though its 30 mw would would lookin at the beam, relfectin off stuff hurt?

Kenom

Even a 5mw laser can do damage to your eyes. So yes a 30mw can definitly harm your eyes. It is always best to err on the side of caution as it's impossible to get your sight back. I've a friend who has never seen anything at all and he has the hardest time finding a job let alone doing some of the most simple tasks like enjoying a movie. They are all audio books to him.

S

SenKat

Ya - we take for granted our ability to read this forum, and others for info...the "high tech" test to speach systems cost a bundle, and most sight impaired cannot afford that stuff :( Much less, be able to appreciate the beauty of a laser....be REALLY careful with your eyesight...

BobW55

Don't think I am going to pull mine apart. Haven't figured out how to do it with out killing it anyway. Had to dremmel a hole in my Ebaser to get to the pot. Managed to get it a bit brighter but not as bright as the DX30. Still thinking about the DX200, even if there is alot of IR. Will make for a great wasp killer.

BobW -

One of my DX20 pointers jumped from 20 to 45 mW simply by using e2 cells. I couldn't believe it. The other one, I pot modded to 47 mW and stopped there.

Mike

BobW55

Tried e2 cells in my dx30 last night, but did NOT see any difference. Took about 3 seconds to burn thru black tape over the end. Would do that with fresh mh batteries. Haven't tried em in my Ebaser yet.

I don't have any way of checking the output.