Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DX 200mW Green

I just received my 200mW DX green laser this morning.  The graph below shows output using standard alkies that it arrived with.  After about 70 Seconds, I flipped the (http://www.optics-online.com/irc.asp) IRC21 IR filter into place and the IR was blocked resulting in a significant decrease in total power.  I don't have any E2 lithium AAA batteries to test with at this point.

(Sorry about the white part of the graph - I don't know how to get rid of it using "paint")

Attachments

• 200mW_DX_green_Medium.GIF
    200mW_DX_green_Medium.GIF
    9.1 KB · Views: 107

S

SenKat

DAMN ! That is almost exactly opposite what Hemlock Mike experienced - his was only putting out about 1-2mw of IR.....THAT sucks ! But then again, they do say there is no IR filter period on the web site - so how is it that yours and Mike's are so different? He has got to get one of those IRC21 filters to test with....

Senkat --
You are right -- I need a real IR filter for my tests - I have no real calibrated filter.  Steves power curve matches what I received using no IR filter.  Then mine took off and flew like an eagle peaking at 206 mW !!  Tonight ---- I'm back to the starting point peaking at 160 mW.  
Heat may be the problem - -I think it puts out more when cool - not body temp.

Update: I chilled mine down for 5 minutes in the deep freeze. No difference.
Pulled the cells off and poked the power switch about 25 times and then the power went up to 184 mW peak !! That poor power switch is maybe hurting !!

Mike

S

SenKat

Looks like it is time to disect the pointer, Mike..... You know, I heard SOMEWHERE that if you take a piece of wood....drill a half inch hole....hehehehehehehe !!!

SenKat -- You dingbat ---

I'm better than that !!!!! :D I think I may try measuring voltage drop across the switch. Maybe a freon cleaning :-[ Watch out for the ozone hole !

Mike

All of a sudden, my dx200 is WORKING again. POP  190 mW peak !
What's the deal (extreme) here???  

OOPS - 10 PM and its back down to 120 mw and less :-( This isn't a laser, it's a roller coaster ....

Mike

I just re-tested my laser and I have to agree with you Mike, this thing is a roller coaster.  See my next data set - now over 200 mW on a fresh set of alkies.  Still no e2 Lith's yet.  The drop is again when I flipped the IRC 21 filter in place.

Again about 50% IR, but it is putting out over 240 mW max (247 mW was recorded). Even if half of that is IR we're talking 120+ mW of green. Not bad for $120. Still, I would like to have some type of stability. You never know what you'll get when you press the button. Maybe next time it will be just a faint cherry red...

Attachments

• 200mW_DX_green_2nd_test_Medium.GIF
    200mW_DX_green_2nd_test_Medium.GIF
    10.1 KB · Views: 98
S

SenKat

Holy CRAP ! As crazy nuts as that darned laser performs, I would take the batts out at night to be safe ! :eek:

K

kingzilla

Wow, and I thought my yellow laser was unstable! That thing is crazy! I think I am going to hold off on buying one of these for now, at least until this issue is cleared up.

S

SenKat

Awe - it'll NEVER be cleared up ! At least I don't think so.....I would however like to hear what some of the folks say now to this data, in regards to two AAA batts not being able to pump out that much power....NOT throwing the gauntlet, or anything - I am curious, though....with this kind of raw data in front of you - and it seems one culprit could be the switch - as in if you jiggle the switch it'll work better - I was under the impression, like others that two AAA batts could not put out enough power to spit out that kind of mw we are seeing from those new-wish lasers....SOMEONE help me to understand ! It just doesn;t make sense ! Unless "we" have been wrong all this time, and it is not only possible - but CHEAP ?

I may need to pull out the secondary nd-8 filter I got off e-bay - the original calibrated one I'm using now doesn't have many more uses left. I've been avoiding the "burnt areas". SenKat, any word on the new filters??

Regarding power, all I can tell you is what my meter reads.  The numbers aren't terribly reproduceable, but I get consistent readings over 200mW tonight on fresh alkies.  

It lights matches instantly, and should, even if half the power is from IR.  I may try to light a match on the oppostie side of my filter.  More later...

update: no problem lighting matches oppostite the filter. they ignite in under a second and I can't notice any difference in timeframe with or without the filter.

Justin

From my experience, that kind of instability can often indicate that the diode is being overdriven and you are slowly cooking the laser. I would not count on that thing having a terribly long lifespan, so enjoy it while it still lives! I could be wrong, but that's what the data looks like to me.

I'm starting to use a very short duty cycle and hopefully that will extend the life a bit. No competition for my Aries 225 but it is cheaper and more portable...

I just got mine yesterday, and have been lighting matches, burning my friend's asses and popping black baloons all day today....

what fun!

I just got some e2 lithiums tonight, and holy cow what a difference!

instant match lighting with red matches, and instant ouch when pointing it at my foot...

I've also burnt ants, spiders, trash bags, business cards.... etc...

what fun lasers are!