Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DVD "reader vs burner" and "speed" questions

I realize that the parts are salvageable from other things, and relatively cheap. I just don't have the time or money to devote to it right now. I'm having enough trouble making all the bills each month despite working two jobs. Free time at home after work isn't on my side right now.

I have a dumb question, because it's not making any sense in my head: How can a flat heatsink from a computer processor help a round Aixiz module? Wouldn't it only have maybe a 0.5mm contact point (on a "tangent")? How would that dissipate the heat from the other 99% of the surface?

Last edited:

That driver should cost no more than $2 to build.... You can salvage most of those parts from almost any broken electronic device. Even if you purchased everything new, under $5 is a fair estimate.

To "make" a heatsink for the LM 317, just use an old PC heat sink, and drill a hole in it, run a small bolt through the hole, a washer and a nut.

The LM 317 is about all you need to actually buy.

11711-diy-homemade-laser-diode-driver-lm317_components01_001.jpg
daveindelaware;If you are talking about this post, re-read the red part. Wayne is talking about a heat-sink for the driver's regulator, not the LD.