Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DVD player Laser diode

LayZer

Hi everyone, I have a laser diode from a DVD player but I don't know how to connect it. The diode has four pins and I'd like to know the function of each of this pins. I've attached an image, as you can see there are three pins with black base and the other whit yellow base, maybe it would help.

Thanks for your help

CU

PD: Congratulations for this forum and sorry for my English.

Attachments

• diode_pins.JPG
    diode_pins.JPG
    443.2 KB · Views: 20,238

diachi

* <-----Negative, and grounded to the case

Positive------------> . . <-------Photo Diode connection (not used)

I dont know why it has 4 pins, but the one without the black bit around the base should be the negative, and when its facing up towards the sky the one to the left is positive.

Diachi

daguin

Diachi said:
* <-----Negative, and grounded to the case

Positive------------> . . <-------Photo Diode connection (not used)

I dont know why it has 4 pins, but the one without the black bit around the base should be the negative, and when its facing up towards the sky the one to the left is positive.

Diachi

Usually the diode with four pins in the drives we use is the IR diode. Is (was) there another diode (with three pins) in the sled?

Peace,
dave

LayZer

Usually the diode with four pins in the drives we use is the IR diode. Is (was) there another diode (with three pins) in the sled?

No there was only this four pin diode.

So... It's correct? The pin without the black bit arround the base is the negative?

LayZer said:
Usually the diode with four pins in the drives we use is the IR diode.  Is (was) there another diode (with three pins) in the sled?

No there was only this four pin diode.

So... It's correct? The pin without the black bit arround the base is the negative?
yeah, be careful when you hook it up tho as it could be an IR diode, if you don't see any red coming out, try using your cell phone camera to view the output, IR shows up as white on cameras and is invisible to human eyes

LayZer

I've checked it and it works. Thanks everyone. PD:Good diagram.
:)

LayZer

Its from a DVD PLAYER...
That ain't gonna burn anything, son... You need a DVD Burner...