Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Duty cycle for Sanwu Challenger II 445nm 3W

Rosalita Gata

I ordered the Sanwu Challenger II 445nm 3W from Laser Pointer Store. It should arrive tomorrow. The Sanwu web page says duty cycle is 60 s on, 80 s off for all Challenger II lasers regardless of power and wavelength. The Laser Pointer Store web page says 405nm (60 s on & off), other Challenger II are continuous use. Who should I believe?

I do not believe the Sanwu website. The Challenger II configurations range from 505nm, 50 mW to 445nm, 5W. They can't all have the same duty cycle. Is this a common problem? Some specs can not be trusted.

Last edited:

julianthedragon

How will you be using the laser? How is the duty cycle of importance to you? (e.g. you have to keep it on for 3 mins at a time)

julianthedragon

With a build like the challenger II I would trust it for several minutes, but I wouldn't leave it on much longer than that. It's a high quality build with a nice heat sink but it's still a multiwatt diode stuffed in a small handheld. Try feeling the heat of it yourself when it's on for a few minutes. That's my personal take on it, but others say it is an unlimited duty cycle like posts here and here. Worst comes to worst, if the laser fails from being on too long you're in a good position to ask Sanwu for a replacement since their information states an unlimited cycle.

Rosalita Gata

I read that the Challenger II reduces output to avoid over temperature but I am not allowed to post links. It's in one of the official Sanwu threads.

Encap

Common sense>>> Email Sanwu and ask them any questions you have about the Challenger II product and/or any reservations/concerns you have about their web site info.

Rosalita Gata

Common sense>>> Email Sanwu and ask them any questions you have about the Challenger II product and/or any reservations/concerns you have about their web site info.
I did, and they just gave me the spec from their web page. Like I said in the OP something is not right. A 5 W 445nm would have much more heat to dissipate than a 50 mW 505nm. Also, Laser Pointer Store has different specs for the same product.

I did find a good answer in one of the Official Sanwu Threads. Podo, I think is was Podo, says the Challenger II lasers reduce their output to avoid over temperature.

I tried to post a link to this info, but I am too new here and not yet allowed.