Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

*Drumroll* CNI PGL-III-A-520 REVIEW!

CR123 are the same size as the 16340's but 16340's have a 3.7 volt base.. similar to 18650's. ide ask them if that is an option before trying.

Will do! This is very intriguing indeed, it's very possible there is nothing wrong with my laser & it's just my eyes playing tricks on me & my mind thinking it looks too dim, I wouldn't be suprised if that was the case.

-Alex

Gabe

Congratulations! For Cyp's sake you might also want to throw on some numerical values, such as beam diameter, divergence, current draw if you have a dmm, yknow? Anyways, enjoy it! :D

Last edited:
Congratulations! For Cyp's sake you might also want to throw on some numerical values, such as beam diameter, divergence, current draw if you have a dmm, yknow? Anyways, enjoy it! :D

Thanks Gabe, appreciate the kind words! I posted the information about the laser as listed by CNI on top of the pictures :)

-Alex

Gabe

Yes that's great, but if you can you should also put up your own specs that you measured yourself, to compare with the manufacturer's claims. Otherwise some people won't want it in the review section, rather they'd want it under companies, green lasers, or general. :)

Encap

Will do! This is very intriguing indeed, it's very possible there is nothing wrong with my laser & it's just my eyes playing tricks on me & my mind thinking it looks too dim, I wouldn't be suprised if that was the case.

-Alex

Ask them if low voltage could cause the noise coming from the driver.

There are 16340 3.7 volt and 16340 that are 3.2 volt as here Tenergy 30201 RCR123A 3.0V (3.2V) 900mAh Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery

If CNI says the 3.7 volt ( 4.2 peak) 16340s are too strong for their driver/will damage the driver then ask if you can use the 3.2V version

Sounds like they are being nice---they should be for the money spent---they could send you a second one a still be making money.

If the batteries don't sort it out then ask for a replacement and for instructions on returning the one you have if it is necessary

Ask them if low voltage could cause the noise coming from the driver.

There are 16340 3.7 volt and 16340 that are 3.2 volt as here Tenergy 30201 RCR123A 3.0V (3.2V) 900mAh Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery

If CNI says the 3.7 volt ( 4.2 peak) 16340s are too strong for their driver/will damage the driver then ask if you can use the 3.2V version

Sounds like they are being nice---they should be for the money spent---they could send you a second one a still be making money.

If the batteries don't sort it out then ask for a replacement and for instructions on returning the one you have if it is necessary

Yeah, good idea. I sent CNI an email asking if the laser is CW or pulsed(Pi Squared idea), as if it's pulsed it might help clear up the sound problem. I'll also ask if I can use 2 3.7 batteries on the laser :)

-Alex

gozert

The buzzing sound to me looks similar to the coil whine you find on many power supplies and graphics cards. It doesn't affect anything but it can be annoying for sure. Nice 520 though, Alex!

Last edited:
The buzzing sound to me looks similar to the coil whine you find on many power supplies and graphixs cards. It doesn't affect anything but it can be annoying for sure. Nice 520 though, Alex!

Thanks for the comment gozert! :)

-Alex

Encap

Oh sorry.

CNI said the max voltage for the laser is 8V & it's CW. I'm going to go ahead and purchase batteries with more voltage(2 16340). Are 2 of those the same length as 2 CR123?

-Alex

Yes same size however while they say 3.7 volt the max charge is 4.2 volts so X2 8.4 volt so CNI need to tell you 8.4 volt is OK or you have to be carefu not to charge them past 4 volts each---just get a cheap charger that cuts out at 3.7 volts which is easy to find.

Yes same size however while they say 3.7 volt the max charge is 4.2 volts so X2 8.4 volt so CNI need to tell you 8.4 volt is OK or you have to be carefu not to charge them past 4 volts each---just get a cheap charger that cuts out at 3.7 volts which is easy to find.

Ok. I did another run of the 520 today & it seemed to work fine, I did not ave the 532 next to it though so it seems like my eyes were just expecting it to be brighter or something. It's still making that buzzing sound though which is strange.

Would higher voltage get rid of the sound?

-Alex

gozert

The higher voltage could for sure eliminate the sound, but it can also get worse. You'll really have to try it out.

APEX1

$400 for a 3.6mW 520nm laser? Yikes, outrageously high price--mabe when 520nm first came out but now?

Anyway enjoy it.

For $400 you should not have to accept anything less than a perfect ideal unit--- just saying.

I agree, especially from them.. Let us no what it is or was.

I agree, especially from them.. Let us no what it is or was.

I agree & will keep you guys updated! I'll run it again tonight alone, then with my 532 & see if it looks dimmer when the 532 is next to it. If it still looks dim without the 532 I'll try and purchase better cells. if that still dosen't fix it, I will ask CNI if they are willing to ship me a new unit :)

-Alex

Gabe

Note that it may look a little dimmer due to the lower wavelength... Not sure if that's a major contributing factor or nah