Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Driving diodes

Alright everyone, with all these drivers out there, even some led drivers powering laser diodes, which would anyone think be best for powering leds?

Im powering a cree xml t6. So they can pull 3A I know leds can take more abuse than a laser diode. Looking at all the driver stats, I would have to get two but for an led can the drivers be wired in parallel?I really wanted the light brightness adjustable (sometimes 1200lm is too much) anyone have ideas?

Blord

What is the battery configuration ? If you really want brightness with the XML T6 led you can try direct drive it with one 3.7V li-ion cell. The LED must be really good heatsinked.

Yeah those suckers get hot, I don't think I will run it full current actually. Its for a desk lamp and im using a 12v wall converter.

Ill look up that amc fiddy

You should search on DX (deal extreme). Not only do they have lots of cheap drivers, but a really good customer comment section and lots of information on the drivers.

You won't be able to use the amc7135 driver with 12V unless you up the number of LEDs. But then you could use a different LED if you wanted different kind of light. You should search for a driver that can take 12V, and look for switchmode drivers with the big wire coil thing on them, because they won't heat up from having to drop so much voltage like a linear driver would.

Yeah I saw the amc can only do a single lipo. DX didn't have anything I was looking for specifically. I found another place that sells some, they had a switch mode that could push 3A, and some kind of "overdrive" where it pushes 4 or something till it gets hot...not sure about that...

first driver I need is to finish off a desk lamp for my girlfriend I have some pics if anyone is interested on what I have so far....second one is for my truck :) I want to put a monster spot light on the front with a movable head controlled inside the cab via joystick. It would be nice if I could put a stepper on there to move some optics to focus it between 5 and 45 degrees or so.

But anyways thanks guys for the help. The search continues.