Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Drivers... AGHHH

hey LPF, Im a noob to electronics and lasers (i have soldering experience and simple stuff). Everywhere i look people make nice compact lasers with their drivers nowhere in sight, I recently got myself some things to build a laser from a xbox 360 diode i will extract. The guides I see have the driver wired outside of the aixiz housing and looks very ugly. The driver i got is adjustable one from 27-450mA. so please help me if there is any way to make the driver not be out in the open. I cant carry my laZor around like that.

ok for one thing unless its an xbox hd add on drive the diode is usless
several people sell these diodes in sleds from the xbox hd add on drive for 12-15 bucks ;) thats whatcha need see drew or jake21

You do not say which driver but I will assume DDL LM317, it doesn't have to be too large, I have crammed all the parts into an Aixiz module in the past.

Cut off the heatsink on the regulator (or use the SMT version)
use a tantalum capacitor
do away with the variable resistor (use the correct value fixed resistor)

Regards rog8811

An Rkcstr driver will fit. I used it for my first build and it's small enough for the Axiz module. If you want, you can assemble it you self and save a few bucks, but it's already quite cheap. It will also let you use a convenient  9 volt battery. You'll need a dummy load to set the current, Rkcstr sells them too.

EDIT : removed some "also"