Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

driver solutions for casio A141 array as etcher/cutterer

Eddie H

Hi, I've checked through search but I'm afraid my knowledge base is seriously lacking when it comes to driving methods for A/M140 diodes.
I have the array from an XJ-A141 projector which has 6x A140 diodes and 18x M140 diodes in 4 series circuits of 6 diodes each. My maths is atrocious but I'm trying to figure out how to power these. My options are 4x driver circuits (as in the original projector), 1 driver circuit feeding all 4 clusters, or simply a driver per diode (easier mathematically, more fiddly soldering and complexity of parts). I wish to keep the assembly intact as much as possible, and I did see a chap simply feed the 4 circuits from the diodes on the ribbon, though I've no idea what V/A he supplied them with, he simply stated he "hooked them up to a 32 or 36V 8A desktop supply". My electronics knowledge fails me when it comes to the math side of things and I don't want to release the smoke from any of the diodes (I've always found it impossible to put the smoke back in). Any advice on simplest/cheapest/safest way to feed the monster without blowing anything up!
Any and all advice/criticism are gratefully accepted and appreciated as I fear I'lI overlook a decimal point or something and nuke the whole shebang! Thanks in advance guys :)

Light superglue

Hi, Eddie

I do not think that you could make a good cutter fom A-141 array because the knife-edged beams which come out of this light engine are not very parallel.

However, couple of years ago I have burnt wood and other things when putting in the focus of the lens which was built in.

I connected its 4 series of 6LD in parallel and used 6A current for the total. Voltage was 27V. As constant current driver I have used BST400 from aliexpress but 27V you could also get from an ordinary bench power supply such as 3010 sold on ebay/ali.

The tricky thing was to find out polarity (I had to dismantle it all, then combine again) and to solder wires to ribbon: carefully scratch away the protective layer, clean Cu conductive layer with ZnCl2 solution, then solder wires to it.

I can make a picture how it was connected if I can find this thing again.

Eddie H

Hi, Eddie

I do not think that you could make a good cutter fom A-141 array because the knife-edged beams which come out of this light engine are not very parallel.

However, couple of years ago I have burnt wood and other things when putting in the focus of the lens which was built in.

I connected its 4 series of 6LD in parallel and used 6A current for the total. Voltage was 27V. As constant current driver I have used BST400 from aliexpress but 27V you could also get from an ordinary bench power supply such as 3010 sold on ebay/ali.

The tricky thing was to find out polarity (I had to dismantle it all, then combine again) and to solder wires to ribbon: carefully scratch away the protective layer, clean Cu conductive layer with ZnCl2 solution, then solder wires to it.

I can make a picture how it was connected if I can find this thing again.
Excellent info, cheers very much! That's exactly what I needed to know. I'm not really fussed about using it as a cutter tbh, more just for etching designs into things.
I do get that you can't perfectly merge the beams into a single high wattage straight beam so I understand why it would make a poor cutter, I'm really more interested in just focusing the beams to draw on pebbles and such. As much as I'd love an Akira style laser rifle I get that this isn't the way, but I would like to have a few pebbles with pictures burned into them. :)
My other project goal is to make a magnetron pumped CO2 slab laser, I'm drowning in theory on that one! Maybe some time in the next 5 years I'll get to the build stage but I'm in no rush.
Thanks for the info, you guys on LPF are really an awesome collective, looking forward to the day I can contribute in a meaningful way.
:)
P.S. I think it's my lucky day, my mate just let the smoke out of his camper van inverter so I have a nice box of soot and mosfets! Should have this thing running tonight if I can find my stash of pots!

I've just realised my automistake decided to remove the word "etcher" from the thread title, I've fixed it now. 😆

Last edited:

Light superglue

This is what I have left from this array. I dismantled it afterwards to take front surface mirrors.
But here you at last can see how the polarities were oriented in the ribbon.

A140 24 LDs array.jpg

Lifetime17

Hi,
Just make sure your leads are correct before being charged with the PSU. On the PSU end..
Rich:)

Eddie H

Excellent! Thanks :) I've still not got anything done with it yet as I'm missing a few supplies and thanks to CV2 I can't just nip to the shop :(

Lifetime17

Hi,
If im not mistaken all the black wires go together and all the red wires go together . You have Black and red mixed together you need to separate the polarities before using the PSU.
Rich:)

Light superglue

No, do not be confused by colours.
It was 2 pieces of the 4 coloured wires cable for color LEDs, which were easy to solder together into contacts making them parallel.
One 4 coloured cable was +, another was - in my case.

Yes, better stop receiving things until epidemy is over. Here in Spain it looks that only Fedex/DHL still do deliveries, others no more.

Cyparagon

I would recommend a balancing resistor on each string. 0.1ohm or something of that nature. I use that plus a standard 0-30V 0-10A lab supply.

Of course, as stated by others, this would be useless as a cutter. However it does make a terrific sky cannon party trick.