Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Driver Selection

Hi All,

I am using a laser for flourescent microscopy and have previously used only LEDs so I'm new to a lot of the technology here. I honestly don't really need all of the power that the current 455nm diodes offer, I'll probably be staying in the 50 to 200 mW range. That being said, I'm still probably sticking with a 1 W diode because having the option for more power (500 mW absolute max I could imagine) would be nice.

Anyway, I would like to use the 18650 as my battery (3.7 V li-ion, 3000 mAh). I've purchased aixiz housing blanks, copper diode mount, glass lens and thermal paste in addition to my diode. I also bought a diode press tool (eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices)

I did order a driver (micro flex v5) from dr lava's website but from what I understand that will not be here for a LONG time and I'd prefer not to wait.

My question is, do people have any driver recommendations? Again, my current requirements are going to be low and likely variable.

I'm likely to have my driver and battery housed at the base of the portable microscope, while the laser diode will be about 6 inches away. Any recommendations on wire (i saw some on thorlabs with built in strain relief and ESD protection, but it seems overpriced)

Thanks!
Ben

Blord

First welcome to the LPF forum !

If you want fluorescent microscopy I would recommend 405nm diode instead of 445nm diode. The 405nm will have more effect visually.
As for the driver you will need a boost driver if you are using only one 3.7 battery. The Flexdriver will do the job but the availability and after service is almost non existence.
You better use the Ben Boost driver, http://laserpointerforums.com/f67/free-diy-open-source-boost-driver-tested-working-71433.html
Some members are selling them. Look in the buy/sell area.

Last edited:
Thanks. I need to use 445 nm due to the excitation peak of my flourophor, I'd lose a lot of signal moving to 405.

I'll check out the driver though, thanks!
ben

Blord

Oh well, good luck with the build then.
I need also change my incandescent lamp to a highpower LED for more light !

Last edited:
welcome BEN!

Nice to have another member so close--Come fall we should try to arrange a meeting near Houston-- there are a half dozen guys within driving distance-

as you see LPF has a section devoted entirely to the Kasio(That is how WE spell it-plz) 445 diodes..

you have many choices on a driver- the recommended vf is 4.1 vdc- so the driver you will want must boost the 3.7vdc up some... Since this 'new' diode has been a 'game changer'(before it came around we had to fork out BIG bucks for a DPSS blue)--

making it one of the most expensive componenets when DIYing a RGB projector.. so now the B is the cheapest of the three labbies needed-- handheld Blues used to be very expensive and not very high powered either.(still are in that wavelength)

AFAIK the threshold to get a 445 to lase will be making close to 200mW--any less and it will not lase at all or will be pulsed--which may not be a problem for you--
when held still ,except for relative brightness pulsed and constant look very much alike, however when you move the laser you will see a series of dashes/dot rather than a solid line. If I remember I can send you a few pieces of good wire to use. Its also sold here are a very good price by Mohenberg. et al
It has excellant flexability and is the best to use.

I also suggest that you use shrink wrap to seal up the diode pins and the attached wires. I will get you some more links that will help-- the 445 section has grown fast and huge-- you can use the search tool to the right above the top thread- that will search the 445 section only instead of all sections. DTR(et al) has done LPF an incredible service with his super tutorials- Pic heavy and well detailed-- many here have done hours of testing and graphing-- The diodes I am sending you are form the XJA-140 projector- so see the info for that one--not the M/H series or the 9mm 445s.

lastly there are a lot of cool leftovers when the diodes are harvested form the PJs- A red phlatlight LED (that is so powerful it will set paper on fire)fans- HSs-a crapload of optics- dichros, FS mirrors and more- many of these parts are quite useful. There may be some things in one that you can use in your project..They get sold here -- but look around for the best price-- see DTR if you want a good deal on an entire PJ (sans Diodes) or just some of the parts.

Last but NOT least important-- protect your eyes with these.. plz post some pics of your project-- afaik this use of these has never been discussed very much..Len in BrazoriaTX.